|By Dustin Amrhein||
|June 28, 2012 09:00 AM EDT||
Not too long ago, I wrote a post about IBM's then very recent acquisition of a mobile application platform company called Worklight. Given the fact that is has been a while (at least in mobile market time) and IBM recently released (6/15) the new IBM Worklight 5.0 product, I thought it was a good time to revisit the topic.
First things first, the acquisition of Worklight by IBM and the subsequent release of IBM Worklight does not change the nature of the solution. It is still a mobile application platform, and it still provides the end-to-end capabilities that you probably (or at least should) expect from such a solution. At a high level, those capabilities address the following needs:
- Application runtime: IBM Worklight provides mobile application runtime capabilities that span from the mobile device to the enterprise backend through the IBM Worklight Device Runtime and the IBM Worklight Server respectively. The device runtime provides a rich set of APIs that are cross-platform in nature and offer easy access to the services provided by the IBM Worklight Server. Additionally, the device runtime provides a key-value, encrypted cache that your mobile applications can use to store data locally (on the device) in a secure manner. This cache can be instrumental in enabling applications to function offline and in improving overall application performance.
On the backend, the IBM Worklight Server provides services such as data integration, data transformation, application security, device authentication, direct application update, auditing, and more. It is worth pointing out that the IBM Worklight Device Runtime and the IBM Worklight Server are engineered to work together. This ensures your mobile applications have easy access to the services provided on the server, and it means there is a mechanism to deliver value right out of the box. There is ample evidence of the value of this integration, from the ease through which you can integrate existing enterprise information systems with your mobile applications to the ability to directly and proactively update application assets that are running on a user's device.
- Application management: Of course just as important as providing for the ability to develop, build, and run mobile applications is enabling you to effectively manage and administer said applications. IBM Worklight provides a web-based console that delivers an easy to use UI for leveraging some of the management features of the IBM Worklight Server. From the console you can manage multiple versions of an application across multiple platforms, send notification messages to application users, remotely disable specific application versions to prevent user access, and manage push notification sources and targets. Additionally, the console provides reports based on the audit data captured by the IBM Worklight Server. These reports provide important information about application usage such as application visits per day, total visits per application, newly detected devices per application, and more. Furthermore, the source data for these reports can be exported into your BI or analytics tool of choice.
I started off by mentioning the recent release of IBM Worklight v5, so I think it is appropriate to do a quick rundown of a few of the enhancements made in that recent release:
- WYSIWYG editor for quickly building mobile application UIs in a drag and drop fashion. The new Rich Page Editor can be used to quickly build mobile UIs using HTML5 and Dojo Mobile constructs. In no way does it limit the control you have over the underlying application source code, but it does make the construction of the views in your mobile application much simpler.
- Integration with IBM Cast Iron via an out of the box adapter. This adapter allows for bi-directional communication with IBM Cast Iron thereby delivering a rich set of application connectivity options right out of the box.
- Simulator for quickly testing mobile applications in a browser. The new Mobile Browser Simulator allows you to test your mobile application in a browser while simulating many different device form factors across a number of different platforms.
- Channel for easily sharing mobile applications during the development and test cycle. The new IBM Application Center makes it easy to share mobile applications amongst important stakeholders of a project while enabling those stakeholders to immediately provide feedback about the application.
- Much more. Don't believe me? Check it out for yourself by visiting the developerWorks site for mobile development. On that page, you will find links to download the new IBM Worklight Developer Edition which provides the end-to-end capability of the platform installed as a set of Eclipse plugins. That's right, the only thing required to install and get your hands on the product is an Eclipse environment! Furthermore, it is completely free to install and use on your local machine!
Okay, so this has gone on a little longer than I intended, but I wanted to wrap up by addressing one more thing. The entire mobile space is hot, and it is crowded with technology providers. A question that I often get asked from my clients is ‘Why IBM Worklight?' While the answer always varies based on the unique scenario, it often comes back to a simple but profound statement: ‘IBM Worklight delivers a truly open approach for developing and running mobile applications.' This is first encountered in the development environment where you can choose both the mobile application architecture and libraries that you want to use to do the job. It extends to the runtime by allowing you to quickly and easily integrate with a heterogeneous ecosystem of enterprise information systems. To be sure, there are many valuable and differentiating features and functions of the platform, and if you are so inclined I strongly encourage you to dive deeper into it (after all, it is free to try). That said, I do not think I can understate the value of a truly open platform!
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management...
May. 27, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,076
In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects). Bruce Swann has more than 15 years of experience working with digital marketing disciplines like web analytics, social med...
May. 27, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,276
SYS-CON Events announced today that Tintri Inc., a leading producer of VM-aware storage (VAS) for virtualization and cloud environments, will exhibit at the 18th International CloudExpo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 27, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,291
SYS-CON Events announced today Object Management Group® has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 27, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,361
SYS-CON Events announced today that ContentMX, the marketing technology and services company with a singular mission to increase engagement and drive more conversations for enterprise, channel and SMB technology marketers, has been named “Sponsor & Exhibitor Lounge Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. “CloudExpo is a great opportunity to start a conversation with new prospects, but what happens after the...
May. 27, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,030
Companies can harness IoT and predictive analytics to sustain business continuity; predict and manage site performance during emergencies; minimize expensive reactive maintenance; and forecast equipment and maintenance budgets and expenditures. Providing cost-effective, uninterrupted service is challenging, particularly for organizations with geographically dispersed operations.
May. 27, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,940
The IoTs will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and share the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the development proc...
May. 27, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,885
What a difference a year makes. Organizations aren’t just talking about IoT possibilities, it is now baked into their core business strategy. With IoT, billions of devices generating data from different companies on different networks around the globe need to interact. From efficiency to better customer insights to completely new business models, IoT will turn traditional business models upside down. In the new customer-centric age, the key to success is delivering critical services and apps wit...
May. 27, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,115
Join us at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo 2016 – June 7-9 at the Javits Center in New York City and November 1-3 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – and deliver your unique message in a way that is striking and unforgettable by taking advantage of SYS-CON's unmatched high-impact, result-driven event / media packages.
May. 27, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,358
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, will provide an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life ...
May. 27, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,911
As cloud and storage projections continue to rise, the number of organizations moving to the cloud is escalating and it is clear cloud storage is here to stay. However, is it secure? Data is the lifeblood for government entities, countries, cloud service providers and enterprises alike and losing or exposing that data can have disastrous results. There are new concepts for data storage on the horizon that will deliver secure solutions for storing and moving sensitive data around the world. ...
May. 27, 2016 07:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,272
SYS-CON Events announced today that BMC Software has been named "Siver Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. BMC is a global leader in innovative software solutions that help businesses transform into digital enterprises for the ultimate competitive advantage. BMC Digital Enterprise Management is a set of innovative IT solutions designed to make digital business fast, seamless, and optimized from mainframe to mo...
May. 27, 2016 06:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,114
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex software systems for startups and enterprises. Since 2009 it has grown from a small group of passionate engineers and business managers to a full-scale mobile software company with over 200 develope...
May. 27, 2016 06:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,525
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, will discuss the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to fo...
May. 27, 2016 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,485
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device. For more information, please visit https://www.mangoapps.com/.
May. 27, 2016 05:00 AM EDT Reads: 720
SYS-CON Events announced today TechTarget has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. TechTarget is the Web’s leading destination for serious technology buyers researching and making enterprise technology decisions. Its extensive global networ...
May. 27, 2016 04:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,119
SYS-CON Events announced today that EastBanc Technologies will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. EastBanc Technologies has been working at the frontier of technology since 1999. Today, the firm provides full-lifecycle software development delivering flexible technology solutions that seamlessly integrate with existing systems – whether on premise or cloud. EastBanc Technologies partners with p...
May. 27, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,174
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
May. 27, 2016 01:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,966
SYS-CON Events announced today that Alert Logic, Inc., the leading provider of Security-as-a-Service solutions for the cloud, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Alert Logic, Inc., provides Security-as-a-Service for on-premises, cloud, and hybrid infrastructures, delivering deep security insight and continuous protection for customers at a lower cost than traditional security solutions. Ful...
May. 27, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,739
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discuss how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. We'll cite examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He'll also highlight how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable...
May. 27, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,800