|By Dustin Amrhein||
|June 28, 2012 09:00 AM EDT||
Not too long ago, I wrote a post about IBM's then very recent acquisition of a mobile application platform company called Worklight. Given the fact that is has been a while (at least in mobile market time) and IBM recently released (6/15) the new IBM Worklight 5.0 product, I thought it was a good time to revisit the topic.
First things first, the acquisition of Worklight by IBM and the subsequent release of IBM Worklight does not change the nature of the solution. It is still a mobile application platform, and it still provides the end-to-end capabilities that you probably (or at least should) expect from such a solution. At a high level, those capabilities address the following needs:
- Application runtime: IBM Worklight provides mobile application runtime capabilities that span from the mobile device to the enterprise backend through the IBM Worklight Device Runtime and the IBM Worklight Server respectively. The device runtime provides a rich set of APIs that are cross-platform in nature and offer easy access to the services provided by the IBM Worklight Server. Additionally, the device runtime provides a key-value, encrypted cache that your mobile applications can use to store data locally (on the device) in a secure manner. This cache can be instrumental in enabling applications to function offline and in improving overall application performance.
On the backend, the IBM Worklight Server provides services such as data integration, data transformation, application security, device authentication, direct application update, auditing, and more. It is worth pointing out that the IBM Worklight Device Runtime and the IBM Worklight Server are engineered to work together. This ensures your mobile applications have easy access to the services provided on the server, and it means there is a mechanism to deliver value right out of the box. There is ample evidence of the value of this integration, from the ease through which you can integrate existing enterprise information systems with your mobile applications to the ability to directly and proactively update application assets that are running on a user's device.
- Application management: Of course just as important as providing for the ability to develop, build, and run mobile applications is enabling you to effectively manage and administer said applications. IBM Worklight provides a web-based console that delivers an easy to use UI for leveraging some of the management features of the IBM Worklight Server. From the console you can manage multiple versions of an application across multiple platforms, send notification messages to application users, remotely disable specific application versions to prevent user access, and manage push notification sources and targets. Additionally, the console provides reports based on the audit data captured by the IBM Worklight Server. These reports provide important information about application usage such as application visits per day, total visits per application, newly detected devices per application, and more. Furthermore, the source data for these reports can be exported into your BI or analytics tool of choice.
I started off by mentioning the recent release of IBM Worklight v5, so I think it is appropriate to do a quick rundown of a few of the enhancements made in that recent release:
- WYSIWYG editor for quickly building mobile application UIs in a drag and drop fashion. The new Rich Page Editor can be used to quickly build mobile UIs using HTML5 and Dojo Mobile constructs. In no way does it limit the control you have over the underlying application source code, but it does make the construction of the views in your mobile application much simpler.
- Integration with IBM Cast Iron via an out of the box adapter. This adapter allows for bi-directional communication with IBM Cast Iron thereby delivering a rich set of application connectivity options right out of the box.
- Simulator for quickly testing mobile applications in a browser. The new Mobile Browser Simulator allows you to test your mobile application in a browser while simulating many different device form factors across a number of different platforms.
- Channel for easily sharing mobile applications during the development and test cycle. The new IBM Application Center makes it easy to share mobile applications amongst important stakeholders of a project while enabling those stakeholders to immediately provide feedback about the application.
- Much more. Don't believe me? Check it out for yourself by visiting the developerWorks site for mobile development. On that page, you will find links to download the new IBM Worklight Developer Edition which provides the end-to-end capability of the platform installed as a set of Eclipse plugins. That's right, the only thing required to install and get your hands on the product is an Eclipse environment! Furthermore, it is completely free to install and use on your local machine!
Okay, so this has gone on a little longer than I intended, but I wanted to wrap up by addressing one more thing. The entire mobile space is hot, and it is crowded with technology providers. A question that I often get asked from my clients is ‘Why IBM Worklight?' While the answer always varies based on the unique scenario, it often comes back to a simple but profound statement: ‘IBM Worklight delivers a truly open approach for developing and running mobile applications.' This is first encountered in the development environment where you can choose both the mobile application architecture and libraries that you want to use to do the job. It extends to the runtime by allowing you to quickly and easily integrate with a heterogeneous ecosystem of enterprise information systems. To be sure, there are many valuable and differentiating features and functions of the platform, and if you are so inclined I strongly encourage you to dive deeper into it (after all, it is free to try). That said, I do not think I can understate the value of a truly open platform!
19th Cloud Expo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterpri...
Aug. 27, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,080
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, will deep dive into best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Aug. 27, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,568
SYS-CON Events announced today that 910Telecom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Housed in the classic Denver Gas & Electric Building, 910 15th St., 910Telecom is a carrier-neutral telecom hotel located in the heart of Denver. Adjacent to CenturyLink, AT&T, and Denver Main, 910Telecom offers connectivity to all major carriers, Internet service providers, Internet backbones and ...
Aug. 27, 2016 05:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,872
There is growing need for data-driven applications and the need for digital platforms to build these apps. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Muddu Sudhakar, VP and GM of Security & IoT at Splunk, will cover different PaaS solutions and Big Data platforms that are available to build applications. In addition, AI and machine learning are creating new requirements that developers need in the building of next-gen apps. The next-generation digital platforms have some of the past platform needs a...
Aug. 27, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 564
SYS-CON Events announced today Telecom Reseller has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Telecom Reseller reports on Unified Communications, UCaaS, BPaaS for enterprise and SMBs. They report extensively on both customer premises based solutions such as IP-PBX as well as cloud based and hosted platforms.
Aug. 27, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 753
I wanted to gather all of my Internet of Things (IOT) blogs into a single blog (that I could later use with my University of San Francisco (USF) Big Data “MBA” course). However as I started to pull these blogs together, I realized that my IOT discussion lacked a vision; it lacked an end point towards which an organization could drive their IOT envisioning, proof of value, app dev, data engineering and data science efforts. And I think that the IOT end point is really quite simple…
Aug. 27, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,338
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the most profound change in personal and enterprise IT since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago. All major researchers estimate there will be tens of billions devices - comp...
Aug. 27, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 3,613
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Aug. 27, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,360
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Aug. 27, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,972
Data is the fuel that drives the machine learning algorithmic engines and ultimately provides the business value. In his session at Cloud Expo, Ed Featherston, a director and senior enterprise architect at Collaborative Consulting, will discuss the key considerations around quality, volume, timeliness, and pedigree that must be dealt with in order to properly fuel that engine.
Aug. 27, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,907
Pulzze Systems was happy to participate in such a premier event and thankful to be receiving the winning investment and global network support from G-Startup Worldwide. It is an exciting time for Pulzze to showcase the effectiveness of innovative technologies and enable them to make the world smarter and better. The reputable contest is held to identify promising startups around the globe that are assured to change the world through their innovative products and disruptive technologies. There w...
Aug. 27, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 683
Today we can collect lots and lots of performance data. We build beautiful dashboards and even have fancy query languages to access and transform the data. Still performance data is a secret language only a couple of people understand. The more business becomes digital the more stakeholders are interested in this data including how it relates to business. Some of these people have never used a monitoring tool before. They have a question on their mind like “How is my application doing” but no id...
Aug. 27, 2016 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,794
Personalization has long been the holy grail of marketing. Simply stated, communicate the most relevant offer to the right person and you will increase sales. To achieve this, you must understand the individual. Consequently, digital marketers developed many ways to gather and leverage customer information to deliver targeted experiences. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lou Casal, Founder and Principal Consultant at Practicala, discussed how the Internet of Things (IoT) has accelerated our abil...
Aug. 27, 2016 02:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,016
With so much going on in this space you could be forgiven for thinking you were always working with yesterday’s technologies. So much change, so quickly. What do you do if you have to build a solution from the ground up that is expected to live in the field for at least 5-10 years? This is the challenge we faced when we looked to refresh our existing 10-year-old custom hardware stack to measure the fullness of trash cans and compactors.
Aug. 27, 2016 01:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,744
The emerging Internet of Everything creates tremendous new opportunities for customer engagement and business model innovation. However, enterprises must overcome a number of critical challenges to bring these new solutions to market. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Michael Martin, CTO/CIO at nfrastructure, outlined these key challenges and recommended approaches for overcoming them to achieve speed and agility in the design, development and implementation of Internet of Everything solutions wi...
Aug. 27, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,030
Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is expected in the amount of information being processed, managed, analyzed, and acted upon by enterprise IT. This amazing is not part of some distant future - it is happening today. One report shows a 650% increase in enterprise data by 2020. Other estimates are even higher....
Aug. 27, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,946
Identity is in everything and customers are looking to their providers to ensure the security of their identities, transactions and data. With the increased reliance on cloud-based services, service providers must build security and trust into their offerings, adding value to customers and improving the user experience. Making identity, security and privacy easy for customers provides a unique advantage over the competition.
Aug. 25, 2016 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,262
Is the ongoing quest for agility in the data center forcing you to evaluate how to be a part of infrastructure automation efforts? As organizations evolve toward bimodal IT operations, they are embracing new service delivery models and leveraging virtualization to increase infrastructure agility. Therefore, the network must evolve in parallel to become equally agile. Read this essential piece of Gartner research for recommendations on achieving greater agility.
Aug. 25, 2016 05:15 PM EDT Reads: 821
SYS-CON Events announced today that Venafi, the Immune System for the Internet™ and the leading provider of Next Generation Trust Protection, will exhibit at @DevOpsSummit at 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Venafi is the Immune System for the Internet™ that protects the foundation of all cybersecurity – cryptographic keys and digital certificates – so they can’t be misused by bad guys in attacks...
Aug. 25, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,652
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Aug. 25, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,177