|By PR Newswire||
|December 12, 2012 09:01 AM EST||
NEW YORK, Dec. 12, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Marian Salzman, CEO of Havas PR North America and an award-winning trendspotter, is providing a preview of her forecast for the new year, titled "13 for 2013." Looking at the two irresistible forces that have been shaping the lives of billions of global citizens over the past half-decade—technology and the economy—Salzman has identified a shift in direction and momentum that has placed us in the center of oppositional alternatives.
"As we head into 2013, technology continues to develop at a rapid clip, but major economies are limping along," Salzman says. "Technological ideas that were flights of fancy in 2007 are now available to, and being used by, the masses. On the other hand, the feeble global economy has forced consumers, corporations and governments to change their expectations of many things we used to take for granted as everyday. The result overall is a radical reshaping of 'normal.'"
"The only way to survive and thrive today is to arm yourself with the right tools," says John Winsor, CEO and co-founder of Victors & Spoils and chief innovation officer of Havas. "In this quest, trendspotting is more important than ever. It's essential for creating relevant content and shaping products, services and markets."
Here's a sneak peek at the 13 trends from Salzman's upcoming report:
1. Sound of the Year for 2013: Co. Life is a co-production, and collaboration is the hottest concept at work and home (especially there, as multiple generations gather in the communal nest). All the "co-" words (co-creation, co-parenting, commingle, coincide, copreneurials, even coincidence) take on bigger meaning because "you + me" is somehow armor and protection against the wild world, and also brain food to ensure that all the "i" stuff (isolation is the worst, though infection sounds fairly vile …) doesn't happen.
2. Make Solutions, Not Problems. Politicians always say they have the solution, otherwise they get taken down. Negativity has never won friends except when it's dissing the other side. Take the subprime crisis: Nobody took notice of Nouriel Roubini and others who were causing "problems" with their contrarian views of impending trouble.
3. 2013 Living: Austerity with Double-Dip Frugality. Consumerism will be replaced by collaborative consumption and an eye on less being more through micro-ownership (1/12 of a car, 1/4 of a dog, 1/365 of a vacation home, etc.). It felt awkward when we started buying only essentials, then the economy bit us a second time. Now, expect the global consumer class to reduce and reuse far ahead of shopping till they drop.
4. Economies Go Alternative. New is now old. Old is next. Cashless economy fits in. But we find new marketplaces for trading recyclables, experiments with local currencies—everything from the storage biz to Dumpster diving to old houses and more.
5. What's Next for an Imperfect World? Photoshop can clean up all kinds of imperfections, cosmetic dentistry can repair someone's smile and the SAT tutor can prep the average student for test success. So how do we embrace and celebrate the less-than-perfect people, places and things we revere as authentic? The yin (quest for perfection) and yang (search for authenticity) lead to quite a juggle.
6. Dads: The New Moms. In a post-mancession economy, dads are hunkering down, minding the kids and carving out new traditions and mores for raising the family. They are also becoming a new stereotype; if ladies of the house were the target consumers in the 1970s, daddy bloggers will be the men to watch by 2015, setting the international shopping lists.
7. The Future of Education: Constant Schooling. Tomorrow, school will be continuous and only a clickstream away, and most industrious people will look at education as a lifelong commitment to personal relevance: their own. College might cost megabucks, but top-drawer instruction is now available for free online—and so it's log in or lose out.
8. Rethinking Quality of Life. Slowing down the pace is a dream scenario for most, especially anyone who has benefited from (and/or been injured by) the fast lane and the pace of change. More emphasis will be placed on slow cooking and eating, on slowing down aging and courtships. We'll chase homey vibes (slow colors, scents, sensorial experiences) to offset the pace of mobile everything.
9. What's Next for Places? SXSW made Austin the Texas capital of cool. Lost in Translation showed a new generation Tokyo's cutting-edge subculture. Savannah benefited from Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil to become a home to young artists and young-at-heart retirees. Pittsburgh reinjected itself with digitivity and is now thriving with modernity and energy (not of the steel kind). Solutions and local placemakers believed that these places could.
10. The Rise of Africa. For decades, we wrote off Africa as the slow cousin of the modern world, but today we're beginning to see signs that this land of 1 billion people might become the new Asia. If African commodities continue to boom, watch the continent take center stage in the next global economy.
11. The Big Burg Theory. New supercities are materializing, and the biggest cities will grow even bigger, with more than 15 million in residence and new big problems arising (from pollution to terrorism) but also the potential for new solutions. Most of these hot capitals will be in the emerging markets.
12. Reconnecting to Reality with Native Cultures. This is becoming a trigger word in fashion and style, and the source of "ground zero reality" in everyday life. After a spell of rooting for what feels real and authentic, native is becoming the ultimate proof point. The native essence—knowing where something or someone is really from—will become an obsession in this increasingly virtual world.
13. 2013: The Year Fatigue Set In. Fatigue is ubertrendy in almost every format. All kinds of trendy diagnoses are raging, but none as talked-about as chronic fatigue syndrome. Medical journals have reported on fad diagnoses including adrenal fatigue. When we write history for 2013, it might be the year fatigue took root and we all migrated back to a binary approach to living, with no outlets for overload because everything is survival or reboot.
As one of the world's leading trendspotters, Salzman has presented an annual trends report for 17 consecutive years. Each report curates her insights regarding changing attitudes, beliefs, values and media preferences, as well as the broader geopolitical shifts that together are transforming the landscape for brands, business, newscrafting and newsmaking.
The full report is coming soon to iBooks; the PDF format is available for download at havasworldwide.com. For more information and some of Salzman's past annual forecasts, please go to the Brainfood tab at us.havaspr.com.
About Havas Worldwide
Havas Worldwide, formerly known as Euro RSCG Worldwide, is a leading integrated marketing communications agency and was the first agency to be named Global Agency of the Year by both Advertising Age and Campaign in the same year. The Havas Worldwide network is made up of 11,000 employees in 120 cities and 75 countries, with 316 offices and provides advertising, marketing, corporate communications, and digital and social media solutions to clients, including Air France, BNP Paribas, Citigroup, Danone Group, IBM, Kraft Foods, Lacoste, Merck, Pernod Ricard, PSA Peugeot Citroen, Reckitt Benckiser, Sanofi, and Volvo. Headquartered in New York, Havas Worldwide is the largest unit of the Havas group, a world leader in communications (Euronext Paris SA: HAV.PA).
Global Communications Manager
T +1 212-886-2018
SOURCE Havas Worldwide
After making a doctor’s appointment via your mobile device, you receive a calendar invite. The day of your appointment, you get a reminder with the doctor’s location and contact information. As you enter the doctor’s exam room, the medical team is equipped with the latest tablet containing your medical history – he or she makes real time updates to your medical file. At the end of your visit, you receive an electronic prescription to your preferred pharmacy and can schedule your next appointment.
Mar. 29, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 723
The world's leading Cloud event, Cloud Expo has launched Microservices Journal on the SYS-CON.com portal, featuring over 19,000 original articles, news stories, features, and blog entries. DevOps Journal is focused on this critical enterprise IT topic in the world of cloud computing. Microservices Journal offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. Follow new article posts on Twitter at @MicroservicesE
Mar. 29, 2015 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,429
The list of ‘new paradigm’ technologies that now surrounds us appears to be at an all time high. From cloud computing and Big Data analytics to Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) and the Internet of Things (IoT), today we have to deal with what the industry likes to call ‘paradigm shifts’ at every level of IT. This is disruption; of course, we understand that – change is almost always disruptive.
Mar. 29, 2015 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,079
SYS-CON Events announced today the IoT Bootcamp – Jumpstart Your IoT Strategy, being held June 9–10, 2015, in conjunction with 16th Cloud Expo and Internet of @ThingsExpo at the Javits Center in New York City. This is your chance to jumpstart your IoT strategy. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the IoT Bootcamp is not just based on presentations but includes hands-on demos and walkthroughs. We will introduce you to a variety of Do-It-Yourself IoT platforms including Arduino, Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, Spark and Intel Edison. You will also get an overview of cloud technologies s...
Mar. 29, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,080
SYS-CON Events announced today that SafeLogic has been named “Bag Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo® New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. SafeLogic provides security products for applications in mobile and server/appliance environments. SafeLogic’s flagship product CryptoComply is a FIPS 140-2 validated cryptographic engine designed to secure data on servers, workstations, appliances, mobile devices, and in the Cloud.
Mar. 29, 2015 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,401
Wearable technology was dominant at this year’s International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) , and MWC was no exception to this trend. New versions of favorites, such as the Samsung Gear (three new products were released: the Gear 2, the Gear 2 Neo and the Gear Fit), shared the limelight with new wearables like Pebble Time Steel (the new premium version of the company’s previously released smartwatch) and the LG Watch Urbane. The most dramatic difference at MWC was an emphasis on presenting wearables as fashion accessories and moving away from the original clunky technology associated with t...
Mar. 29, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,385
The WebRTC Summit 2014 New York, to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY, announces that its Call for Papers is open. Topics include all aspects of improving IT delivery by eliminating waste through automated business models leveraging cloud technologies. WebRTC Summit is co-located with 16th International Cloud Expo, @ThingsExpo, Big Data Expo, and DevOps Summit.
Mar. 29, 2015 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,554
SOA Software has changed its name to Akana. With roots in Web Services and SOA Governance, Akana has established itself as a leader in API Management and is expanding into cloud integration as an alternative to the traditional heavyweight enterprise service bus (ESB). The company recently announced that it achieved more than 90% year-over-year growth. As Akana, the company now addresses the evolution and diversification of SOA, unifying security, management, and DevOps across SOA, APIs, microservices, and more.
Mar. 29, 2015 08:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,047
GENBAND has announced that SageNet is leveraging the Nuvia platform to deliver Unified Communications as a Service (UCaaS) to its large base of retail and enterprise customers. Nuvia’s cloud-based solution provides SageNet’s customers with a full suite of business communications and collaboration tools. Two large national SageNet retail customers have recently signed up to deploy the Nuvia platform and the company will continue to sell the service to new and existing customers. Nuvia’s capabilities include HD voice, video, multimedia messaging, mobility, conferencing, Web collaboration, deskt...
Mar. 29, 2015 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,454
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Mar. 28, 2015 08:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,788
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cisco, the worldwide leader in IT that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cisco makes amazing things happen by connecting the unconnected. Cisco has shaped the future of the Internet by becoming the worldwide leader in transforming how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Cisco and our partners are building the platform for the Internet of Everything by connecting the...
Mar. 28, 2015 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 5,184
Temasys has announced senior management additions to its team. Joining are David Holloway as Vice President of Commercial and Nadine Yap as Vice President of Product. Over the past 12 months Temasys has doubled in size as it adds new customers and expands the development of its Skylink platform. Skylink leads the charge to move WebRTC, traditionally seen as a desktop, browser based technology, to become a ubiquitous web communications technology on web and mobile, as well as Internet of Things compatible devices.
Mar. 28, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,826
SYS-CON Events announced today that robomq.io will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. robomq.io is an interoperable and composable platform that connects any device to any application. It helps systems integrators and the solution providers build new and innovative products and service for industries requiring monitoring or intelligence from devices and sensors.
Mar. 28, 2015 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,457
SYS-CON Events announced today that Akana, formerly SOA Software, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo® New York, which will take place June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Akana’s comprehensive suite of API Management, API Security, Integrated SOA Governance, and Cloud Integration solutions helps businesses accelerate digital transformation by securely extending their reach across multiple channels – mobile, cloud and Internet of Things. Akana enables enterprises to share data as APIs, connect and integrate applications, drive part...
Mar. 28, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,533
Docker is an excellent platform for organizations interested in running microservices. It offers portability and consistency between development and production environments, quick provisioning times, and a simple way to isolate services. In his session at DevOps Summit at 16th Cloud Expo, Shannon Williams, co-founder of Rancher Labs, will walk through these and other benefits of using Docker to run microservices, and provide an overview of RancherOS, a minimalist distribution of Linux designed expressly to run Docker. He will also discuss Rancher, an orchestration and service discovery platf...
Mar. 28, 2015 04:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,419
SYS-CON Events announced today that Vitria Technology, Inc. will exhibit at SYS-CON’s @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Vitria will showcase the company’s new IoT Analytics Platform through live demonstrations at booth #330. Vitria’s IoT Analytics Platform, fully integrated and powered by an operational intelligence engine, enables customers to rapidly build and operationalize advanced analytics to deliver timely business outcomes for use cases across the industrial, enterprise, and consumer segments.
Mar. 28, 2015 03:30 PM EDT Reads: 2,155
SYS-CON Events announced today that Solgenia will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 17th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on November 3–5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Solgenia is the global market leader in Cloud Collaboration and Cloud Infrastructure software solutions. Designed to “Bridge the Gap” between Personal and Professional Social, Mobile and Cloud user experiences, our solutions help large and medium-sized organizations dr...
Mar. 28, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,792
SYS-CON Events announced today that Liaison Technologies, a leading provider of data management and integration cloud services and solutions, has been named "Silver Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Liaison Technologies is a recognized market leader in providing cloud-enabled data integration and data management solutions to break down complex information barriers, enabling enterprises to make smarter decisions, faster.
Mar. 28, 2015 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,428
Cloud is not a commodity. And no matter what you call it, computing doesn’t come out of the sky. It comes from physical hardware inside brick and mortar facilities connected by hundreds of miles of networking cable. And no two clouds are built the same way. SoftLayer gives you the highest performing cloud infrastructure available. One platform that takes data centers around the world that are full of the widest range of cloud computing options, and then integrates and automates everything. Join SoftLayer on June 9 at 16th Cloud Expo to learn about IBM Cloud's SoftLayer platform, explore se...
Mar. 28, 2015 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,627
@ThingsExpo has been named the Top 5 Most Influential M2M Brand by Onalytica in the ‘Machine to Machine: Top 100 Influencers and Brands.' Onalytica analyzed the online debate on M2M by looking at over 85,000 tweets to provide the most influential individuals and brands that drive the discussion. According to Onalytica the "analysis showed a very engaged community with a lot of interactive tweets. The M2M discussion seems to be more fragmented and driven by some of the major brands present in the M2M space. This really allows some room for influential individuals to create more high value inter...
Mar. 28, 2015 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 4,650