|By PR Newswire||
|December 12, 2012 09:01 AM EST||
NEW YORK, Dec. 12, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Marian Salzman, CEO of Havas PR North America and an award-winning trendspotter, is providing a preview of her forecast for the new year, titled "13 for 2013." Looking at the two irresistible forces that have been shaping the lives of billions of global citizens over the past half-decade—technology and the economy—Salzman has identified a shift in direction and momentum that has placed us in the center of oppositional alternatives.
"As we head into 2013, technology continues to develop at a rapid clip, but major economies are limping along," Salzman says. "Technological ideas that were flights of fancy in 2007 are now available to, and being used by, the masses. On the other hand, the feeble global economy has forced consumers, corporations and governments to change their expectations of many things we used to take for granted as everyday. The result overall is a radical reshaping of 'normal.'"
"The only way to survive and thrive today is to arm yourself with the right tools," says John Winsor, CEO and co-founder of Victors & Spoils and chief innovation officer of Havas. "In this quest, trendspotting is more important than ever. It's essential for creating relevant content and shaping products, services and markets."
Here's a sneak peek at the 13 trends from Salzman's upcoming report:
1. Sound of the Year for 2013: Co. Life is a co-production, and collaboration is the hottest concept at work and home (especially there, as multiple generations gather in the communal nest). All the "co-" words (co-creation, co-parenting, commingle, coincide, copreneurials, even coincidence) take on bigger meaning because "you + me" is somehow armor and protection against the wild world, and also brain food to ensure that all the "i" stuff (isolation is the worst, though infection sounds fairly vile …) doesn't happen.
2. Make Solutions, Not Problems. Politicians always say they have the solution, otherwise they get taken down. Negativity has never won friends except when it's dissing the other side. Take the subprime crisis: Nobody took notice of Nouriel Roubini and others who were causing "problems" with their contrarian views of impending trouble.
3. 2013 Living: Austerity with Double-Dip Frugality. Consumerism will be replaced by collaborative consumption and an eye on less being more through micro-ownership (1/12 of a car, 1/4 of a dog, 1/365 of a vacation home, etc.). It felt awkward when we started buying only essentials, then the economy bit us a second time. Now, expect the global consumer class to reduce and reuse far ahead of shopping till they drop.
4. Economies Go Alternative. New is now old. Old is next. Cashless economy fits in. But we find new marketplaces for trading recyclables, experiments with local currencies—everything from the storage biz to Dumpster diving to old houses and more.
5. What's Next for an Imperfect World? Photoshop can clean up all kinds of imperfections, cosmetic dentistry can repair someone's smile and the SAT tutor can prep the average student for test success. So how do we embrace and celebrate the less-than-perfect people, places and things we revere as authentic? The yin (quest for perfection) and yang (search for authenticity) lead to quite a juggle.
6. Dads: The New Moms. In a post-mancession economy, dads are hunkering down, minding the kids and carving out new traditions and mores for raising the family. They are also becoming a new stereotype; if ladies of the house were the target consumers in the 1970s, daddy bloggers will be the men to watch by 2015, setting the international shopping lists.
7. The Future of Education: Constant Schooling. Tomorrow, school will be continuous and only a clickstream away, and most industrious people will look at education as a lifelong commitment to personal relevance: their own. College might cost megabucks, but top-drawer instruction is now available for free online—and so it's log in or lose out.
8. Rethinking Quality of Life. Slowing down the pace is a dream scenario for most, especially anyone who has benefited from (and/or been injured by) the fast lane and the pace of change. More emphasis will be placed on slow cooking and eating, on slowing down aging and courtships. We'll chase homey vibes (slow colors, scents, sensorial experiences) to offset the pace of mobile everything.
9. What's Next for Places? SXSW made Austin the Texas capital of cool. Lost in Translation showed a new generation Tokyo's cutting-edge subculture. Savannah benefited from Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil to become a home to young artists and young-at-heart retirees. Pittsburgh reinjected itself with digitivity and is now thriving with modernity and energy (not of the steel kind). Solutions and local placemakers believed that these places could.
10. The Rise of Africa. For decades, we wrote off Africa as the slow cousin of the modern world, but today we're beginning to see signs that this land of 1 billion people might become the new Asia. If African commodities continue to boom, watch the continent take center stage in the next global economy.
11. The Big Burg Theory. New supercities are materializing, and the biggest cities will grow even bigger, with more than 15 million in residence and new big problems arising (from pollution to terrorism) but also the potential for new solutions. Most of these hot capitals will be in the emerging markets.
12. Reconnecting to Reality with Native Cultures. This is becoming a trigger word in fashion and style, and the source of "ground zero reality" in everyday life. After a spell of rooting for what feels real and authentic, native is becoming the ultimate proof point. The native essence—knowing where something or someone is really from—will become an obsession in this increasingly virtual world.
13. 2013: The Year Fatigue Set In. Fatigue is ubertrendy in almost every format. All kinds of trendy diagnoses are raging, but none as talked-about as chronic fatigue syndrome. Medical journals have reported on fad diagnoses including adrenal fatigue. When we write history for 2013, it might be the year fatigue took root and we all migrated back to a binary approach to living, with no outlets for overload because everything is survival or reboot.
As one of the world's leading trendspotters, Salzman has presented an annual trends report for 17 consecutive years. Each report curates her insights regarding changing attitudes, beliefs, values and media preferences, as well as the broader geopolitical shifts that together are transforming the landscape for brands, business, newscrafting and newsmaking.
The full report is coming soon to iBooks; the PDF format is available for download at havasworldwide.com. For more information and some of Salzman's past annual forecasts, please go to the Brainfood tab at us.havaspr.com.
About Havas Worldwide
Havas Worldwide, formerly known as Euro RSCG Worldwide, is a leading integrated marketing communications agency and was the first agency to be named Global Agency of the Year by both Advertising Age and Campaign in the same year. The Havas Worldwide network is made up of 11,000 employees in 120 cities and 75 countries, with 316 offices and provides advertising, marketing, corporate communications, and digital and social media solutions to clients, including Air France, BNP Paribas, Citigroup, Danone Group, IBM, Kraft Foods, Lacoste, Merck, Pernod Ricard, PSA Peugeot Citroen, Reckitt Benckiser, Sanofi, and Volvo. Headquartered in New York, Havas Worldwide is the largest unit of the Havas group, a world leader in communications (Euronext Paris SA: HAV.PA).
Global Communications Manager
T +1 212-886-2018
SOURCE Havas Worldwide
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ocean9will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Ocean9 provides cloud services for Backup, Disaster Recovery (DRaaS) and instant Innovation, and redefines enterprise infrastructure with its cloud native subscription offerings for mission critical SAP workloads.
Mar. 28, 2017 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,304
Your homes and cars can be automated and self-serviced. Why can't your storage? From simply asking questions to analyze and troubleshoot your infrastructure, to provisioning storage with snapshots, recovery and replication, your wildest sci-fi dream has come true. In his session at @DevOpsSummit at 20th Cloud Expo, Dan Florea, Director of Product Management at Tintri, will provide a ChatOps demo where you can talk to your storage and manage it from anywhere, through Slack and similar services ...
Mar. 28, 2017 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 4,445
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Lachapelle, CEO of the Professional Evaluation and Certification Board (PECB), will provide an overview of various initiatives to certifiy the security of connected devices and future trends in ensuring public trust of IoT. Eric Lachapelle is the Chief Executive Officer of the Professional Evaluation and Certification Board (PECB), an international certification body. His role is to help companies and individuals to achieve professional, accredited and worldw...
Mar. 28, 2017 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 826
SYS-CON Events announced today that Linux Academy, the foremost online Linux and cloud training platform and community, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Linux Academy was founded on the belief that providing high-quality, in-depth training should be available at an affordable price. Industry leaders in quality training, provided services, and student certification passes, its goal is to c...
Mar. 28, 2017 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 4,112
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Mar. 28, 2017 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,096
"delaPlex is a software development company. We do team-based outsourcing development," explained Mark Rivers, COO and Co-founder of delaPlex Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Mar. 28, 2017 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 9,632
SYS-CON Events announced today that CA Technologies has been named “Platinum Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CA Technologies helps customers succeed in a future where every business – from apparel to energy – is being rewritten by software. From ...
Mar. 28, 2017 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,182
SYS-CON Events announced today that Technologic Systems Inc., an embedded systems solutions company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Technologic Systems is an embedded systems company with headquarters in Fountain Hills, Arizona. They have been in business for 32 years, helping more than 8,000 OEM customers and building over a hundred COTS products that have never been discontinued. Technologic Systems’ pr...
Mar. 28, 2017 02:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,663
In his keynote at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, Director of IoT Engineering at Citrix and co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, focused on building an IoT platform and company. He provided a behind-the-scenes look at Octoblu’s platform, business, and pivots along the way (including the Citrix acquisition of Octoblu).
Mar. 28, 2017 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 14,258
SYS-CON Events announced today that Loom Systems will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Founded in 2015, Loom Systems delivers an advanced AI solution to predict and prevent problems in the digital business. Loom stands alone in the industry as an AI analysis platform requiring no prior math knowledge from operators, leveraging the existing staff to succeed in the digital era. With offices in S...
Mar. 28, 2017 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,627
SYS-CON Events announced today that HTBase will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. HTBase (Gartner 2016 Cool Vendor) delivers a Composable IT infrastructure solution architected for agility and increased efficiency. It turns compute, storage, and fabric into fluid pools of resources that are easily composed and re-composed to meet each application’s needs. With HTBase, companies can quickly prov...
Mar. 28, 2017 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,151
SYS-CON Events announced today that T-Mobile will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. As America's Un-carrier, T-Mobile US, Inc., is redefining the way consumers and businesses buy wireless services through leading product and service innovation. The Company's advanced nationwide 4G LTE network delivers outstanding wireless experiences to 67.4 million customers who are unwilling to compromise on ...
Mar. 28, 2017 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,490
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloud Academy will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloud Academy is the industry’s most innovative, vendor-neutral cloud technology training platform. Cloud Academy provides continuous learning solutions for individuals and enterprise teams for Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform, and the most popular cloud computing technologies. Ge...
Mar. 28, 2017 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 4,704
SYS-CON Events announced today that CrowdReviews.com has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6–8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. CrowdReviews.com is a transparent online platform for determining which products and services are the best based on the opinion of the crowd. The crowd consists of Internet users that have experienced products and services first-hand and have an interest in letting other potential buyers...
Mar. 28, 2017 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 3,733
SYS-CON Events announced today that Infranics will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Since 2000, Infranics has developed SysMaster Suite, which is required for the stable and efficient management of ICT infrastructure. The ICT management solution developed and provided by Infranics continues to add intelligence to the ICT infrastructure through the IMC (Infra Management Cycle) based on mathemat...
Mar. 28, 2017 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,322
SYS-CON Events announced today that Interoute, owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Interoute is the owner-operator of one of Europe's largest networks and a global cloud services platform which encompasses 12 data centers, 14 virtual data centers and 31 colocation centers, with connections to 195 add...
Mar. 28, 2017 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,570
SYS-CON Events announced today that SD Times | BZ Media has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 6–8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. BZ Media LLC is a high-tech media company that produces technical conferences and expositions, and publishes a magazine, newsletters and websites in the software development, SharePoint, mobile development and commercial UAV markets.
Mar. 28, 2017 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 4,463
SYS-CON Events announced today that Cloudistics, an on-premises cloud computing company, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Cloudistics delivers a complete public cloud experience with composable on-premises infrastructures to medium and large enterprises. Its software-defined technology natively converges network, storage, compute, virtualization, and management into a ...
Mar. 28, 2017 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,259
Now that the world has connected “things,” we need to build these devices as truly intelligent in order to create instantaneous and precise results. This means you have to do as much of the processing at the point of entry as you can: at the edge. The killer use cases for IoT are becoming manifest through AI engines on edge devices. An autonomous car has this dual edge/cloud analytics model, producing precise, real-time results. In his session at @ThingsExpo, John Crupi, Vice President and Eng...
Mar. 28, 2017 09:15 AM EDT Reads: 4,099
There are 66 million network cameras capturing terabytes of data. How did factories in Japan improve physical security at the facilities and improve employee productivity? Edge Computing reduces possible kilobytes of data collected per second to only a few kilobytes of data transmitted to the public cloud every day. Data is aggregated and analyzed close to sensors so only intelligent results need to be transmitted to the cloud. Non-essential data is recycled to optimize storage.
Mar. 28, 2017 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,195