|By PR Newswire||
|December 12, 2012 09:01 AM EST||
NEW YORK, Dec. 12, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Marian Salzman, CEO of Havas PR North America and an award-winning trendspotter, is providing a preview of her forecast for the new year, titled "13 for 2013." Looking at the two irresistible forces that have been shaping the lives of billions of global citizens over the past half-decade—technology and the economy—Salzman has identified a shift in direction and momentum that has placed us in the center of oppositional alternatives.
"As we head into 2013, technology continues to develop at a rapid clip, but major economies are limping along," Salzman says. "Technological ideas that were flights of fancy in 2007 are now available to, and being used by, the masses. On the other hand, the feeble global economy has forced consumers, corporations and governments to change their expectations of many things we used to take for granted as everyday. The result overall is a radical reshaping of 'normal.'"
"The only way to survive and thrive today is to arm yourself with the right tools," says John Winsor, CEO and co-founder of Victors & Spoils and chief innovation officer of Havas. "In this quest, trendspotting is more important than ever. It's essential for creating relevant content and shaping products, services and markets."
Here's a sneak peek at the 13 trends from Salzman's upcoming report:
1. Sound of the Year for 2013: Co. Life is a co-production, and collaboration is the hottest concept at work and home (especially there, as multiple generations gather in the communal nest). All the "co-" words (co-creation, co-parenting, commingle, coincide, copreneurials, even coincidence) take on bigger meaning because "you + me" is somehow armor and protection against the wild world, and also brain food to ensure that all the "i" stuff (isolation is the worst, though infection sounds fairly vile …) doesn't happen.
2. Make Solutions, Not Problems. Politicians always say they have the solution, otherwise they get taken down. Negativity has never won friends except when it's dissing the other side. Take the subprime crisis: Nobody took notice of Nouriel Roubini and others who were causing "problems" with their contrarian views of impending trouble.
3. 2013 Living: Austerity with Double-Dip Frugality. Consumerism will be replaced by collaborative consumption and an eye on less being more through micro-ownership (1/12 of a car, 1/4 of a dog, 1/365 of a vacation home, etc.). It felt awkward when we started buying only essentials, then the economy bit us a second time. Now, expect the global consumer class to reduce and reuse far ahead of shopping till they drop.
4. Economies Go Alternative. New is now old. Old is next. Cashless economy fits in. But we find new marketplaces for trading recyclables, experiments with local currencies—everything from the storage biz to Dumpster diving to old houses and more.
5. What's Next for an Imperfect World? Photoshop can clean up all kinds of imperfections, cosmetic dentistry can repair someone's smile and the SAT tutor can prep the average student for test success. So how do we embrace and celebrate the less-than-perfect people, places and things we revere as authentic? The yin (quest for perfection) and yang (search for authenticity) lead to quite a juggle.
6. Dads: The New Moms. In a post-mancession economy, dads are hunkering down, minding the kids and carving out new traditions and mores for raising the family. They are also becoming a new stereotype; if ladies of the house were the target consumers in the 1970s, daddy bloggers will be the men to watch by 2015, setting the international shopping lists.
7. The Future of Education: Constant Schooling. Tomorrow, school will be continuous and only a clickstream away, and most industrious people will look at education as a lifelong commitment to personal relevance: their own. College might cost megabucks, but top-drawer instruction is now available for free online—and so it's log in or lose out.
8. Rethinking Quality of Life. Slowing down the pace is a dream scenario for most, especially anyone who has benefited from (and/or been injured by) the fast lane and the pace of change. More emphasis will be placed on slow cooking and eating, on slowing down aging and courtships. We'll chase homey vibes (slow colors, scents, sensorial experiences) to offset the pace of mobile everything.
9. What's Next for Places? SXSW made Austin the Texas capital of cool. Lost in Translation showed a new generation Tokyo's cutting-edge subculture. Savannah benefited from Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil to become a home to young artists and young-at-heart retirees. Pittsburgh reinjected itself with digitivity and is now thriving with modernity and energy (not of the steel kind). Solutions and local placemakers believed that these places could.
10. The Rise of Africa. For decades, we wrote off Africa as the slow cousin of the modern world, but today we're beginning to see signs that this land of 1 billion people might become the new Asia. If African commodities continue to boom, watch the continent take center stage in the next global economy.
11. The Big Burg Theory. New supercities are materializing, and the biggest cities will grow even bigger, with more than 15 million in residence and new big problems arising (from pollution to terrorism) but also the potential for new solutions. Most of these hot capitals will be in the emerging markets.
12. Reconnecting to Reality with Native Cultures. This is becoming a trigger word in fashion and style, and the source of "ground zero reality" in everyday life. After a spell of rooting for what feels real and authentic, native is becoming the ultimate proof point. The native essence—knowing where something or someone is really from—will become an obsession in this increasingly virtual world.
13. 2013: The Year Fatigue Set In. Fatigue is ubertrendy in almost every format. All kinds of trendy diagnoses are raging, but none as talked-about as chronic fatigue syndrome. Medical journals have reported on fad diagnoses including adrenal fatigue. When we write history for 2013, it might be the year fatigue took root and we all migrated back to a binary approach to living, with no outlets for overload because everything is survival or reboot.
As one of the world's leading trendspotters, Salzman has presented an annual trends report for 17 consecutive years. Each report curates her insights regarding changing attitudes, beliefs, values and media preferences, as well as the broader geopolitical shifts that together are transforming the landscape for brands, business, newscrafting and newsmaking.
The full report is coming soon to iBooks; the PDF format is available for download at havasworldwide.com. For more information and some of Salzman's past annual forecasts, please go to the Brainfood tab at us.havaspr.com.
About Havas Worldwide
Havas Worldwide, formerly known as Euro RSCG Worldwide, is a leading integrated marketing communications agency and was the first agency to be named Global Agency of the Year by both Advertising Age and Campaign in the same year. The Havas Worldwide network is made up of 11,000 employees in 120 cities and 75 countries, with 316 offices and provides advertising, marketing, corporate communications, and digital and social media solutions to clients, including Air France, BNP Paribas, Citigroup, Danone Group, IBM, Kraft Foods, Lacoste, Merck, Pernod Ricard, PSA Peugeot Citroen, Reckitt Benckiser, Sanofi, and Volvo. Headquartered in New York, Havas Worldwide is the largest unit of the Havas group, a world leader in communications (Euronext Paris SA: HAV.PA).
Global Communications Manager
T +1 212-886-2018
SOURCE Havas Worldwide
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and ...
May. 31, 2016 03:15 PM EDT Reads: 948
18th Cloud Expo, taking place June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy. Meanwhile, 94% of enterprises are using some...
May. 31, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,303
Cloud computing delivers on-demand resources that provide businesses with flexibility and cost-savings. The challenge in moving workloads to the cloud has been the cost and complexity of ensuring the initial and ongoing security and regulatory (PCI, HIPAA, FFIEC) compliance across private and public clouds. Manual security compliance is slow, prone to human error, and represents over 50% of the cost of managing cloud applications. Determining how to automate cloud security compliance is critical...
May. 31, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,994
SYS-CON Events announced today that IBM Cloud Data Services has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IBM Cloud Data Services offers a portfolio of integrated, best-of-breed cloud data services for developers focused on mobile computing and analytics use cases.
May. 31, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,721
SYS-CON Events announced today that ContentMX, the marketing technology and services company with a singular mission to increase engagement and drive more conversations for enterprise, channel and SMB technology marketers, has been named “Sponsor & Exhibitor Lounge Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York. “CloudExpo is a great opportunity to start a conversation with new prospects, but what happens after the...
May. 31, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,488
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discuss how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. We'll cite examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He'll also highlight how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable...
May. 31, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 3,130
Customer experience has become a competitive differentiator for companies, and it’s imperative that brands seamlessly connect the customer journey across all platforms. With the continued explosion of IoT, join us for a look at how to build a winning digital foundation in the connected era – today and in the future. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Nguyen, Group Product Marketing Manager at Adobe, will discuss how to successfully leverage mobile, rapidly deploy content, capture real-time d...
May. 31, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,790
What a difference a year makes. Organizations aren’t just talking about IoT possibilities, it is now baked into their core business strategy. With IoT, billions of devices generating data from different companies on different networks around the globe need to interact. From efficiency to better customer insights to completely new business models, IoT will turn traditional business models upside down. In the new customer-centric age, the key to success is delivering critical services and apps wit...
May. 31, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,398
As cloud and storage projections continue to rise, the number of organizations moving to the cloud is escalating and it is clear cloud storage is here to stay. However, is it secure? Data is the lifeblood for government entities, countries, cloud service providers and enterprises alike and losing or exposing that data can have disastrous results. There are new concepts for data storage on the horizon that will deliver secure solutions for storing and moving sensitive data around the world. ...
May. 31, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,506
Join us at Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo 2016 – June 7-9 at the Javits Center in New York City and November 1-3 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA – and deliver your unique message in a way that is striking and unforgettable by taking advantage of SYS-CON's unmatched high-impact, result-driven event / media packages.
May. 31, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,624
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, will provide an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life ...
May. 31, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,128
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex software systems for startups and enterprises. Since 2009 it has grown from a small group of passionate engineers and business managers to a full-scale mobile software company with over 200 develope...
May. 31, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,926
SoftLayer operates a global cloud infrastructure platform built for Internet scale. With a global footprint of data centers and network points of presence, SoftLayer provides infrastructure as a service to leading-edge customers ranging from Web startups to global enterprises. SoftLayer's modular architecture, full-featured API, and sophisticated automation provide unparalleled performance and control. Its flexible unified platform seamlessly spans physical and virtual devices linked via a world...
May. 31, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,448
SYS-CON Events announced today that BMC Software has been named "Siver Sponsor" of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2015 at the Javits Center in New York, New York. BMC is a global leader in innovative software solutions that help businesses transform into digital enterprises for the ultimate competitive advantage. BMC Digital Enterprise Management is a set of innovative IT solutions designed to make digital business fast, seamless, and optimized from mainframe to mo...
May. 31, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,425
"What we see what happens when you have a completely networked society and the potential to now drive the value creation and the collaboration and the ecosystems that are possible when you start to be able to connect people and industries together in ways that have never been possible before," explained Esmeralda Swartz, VP of Marketing Enterprise & Cloud at Ericsson, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 3-5, 2015, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
May. 31, 2016 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,872
Companies can harness IoT and predictive analytics to sustain business continuity; predict and manage site performance during emergencies; minimize expensive reactive maintenance; and forecast equipment and maintenance budgets and expenditures. Providing cost-effective, uninterrupted service is challenging, particularly for organizations with geographically dispersed operations.
May. 31, 2016 08:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,359
The Internet of Things (IoT) is growing rapidly by extending current technologies, products and networks. By 2020, Cisco estimates there will be 50 billion connected devices. Gartner has forecast revenues of over $300 billion, just to IoT suppliers. Now is the time to figure out how you’ll make money – not just create innovative products. With hundreds of new products and companies jumping into the IoT fray every month, there’s no shortage of innovation. Despite this, McKinsey/VisionMobile data...
May. 31, 2016 07:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,871
The IoTs will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and share the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the development proc...
May. 31, 2016 06:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,041
SYS-CON Events announced today TechTarget has been named “Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7–9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. TechTarget is the Web’s leading destination for serious technology buyers researching and making enterprise technology decisions. Its extensive global networ...
May. 31, 2016 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 3,388
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device. For more information, please visit https://www.mangoapps.com/.
May. 31, 2016 05:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,227