|By PR Newswire||
|April 24, 2013 08:00 AM EDT||
TYSONS CORNER, Va., April 24, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- MicroStrategy® Incorporated (Nasdaq: MSTR), a leading worldwide provider of business intelligence (BI) and mobile software, today unveiled MicroStrategy 9.3.1™, the latest version of the Company's core enterprise analytics platform.
MicroStrategy 9.3.1 breaks new ground by combining innovative, industry-leading visual data discovery with enterprise-grade, system-of-record BI. With significant user interface innovations and major feature enhancements, MicroStrategy 9.3.1 takes agile visual analytics to a new level, delivering:
- Superior Productivity for Business Users. A streamlined user experience, more powerful data exploration features, and new capabilities to securely share visual analytics and insight make MicroStrategy 9.3.1 more productive for every business user.
- Better Access to Big Data. Optimized data source connections make it easier to access and analyze the entire ecosystem of enterprise data, including Hadoop-based data.
- More Expansive Advanced and Predictive Analytics. MicroStrategy 9.3.1 enables business users to quickly and easily leverage advanced analytics to improve decision-making.
- Innovative Mobile Applications. Native mobile apps for an immersive analytical experience and improved app platform capabilities for code-free development of any mobile business app.
- More Flexible Deployment Options. MicroStrategy 9.3.1 can be installed and deployed on premises, and is also available as a subscription-based service with MicroStrategy Cloud™.
"MicroStrategy 9.3.1 delivers on the promise of agile visual data discovery -- fast, easy-to-use, self-service analytics for business, with all the security, performance, scale, and reliability of an enterprise-grade BI platform," said Michael Saylor, Chairman and CEO, MicroStrategy Incorporated.
Agile Visual Data Discovery Without Compromise
Visual data discovery has become popular because it enables business users to quickly analyze their data with intuitive, interactive visual tools and then build and publish their own analytical dashboards. Unlike other business intelligence approaches, visual data discovery delivers a self-service experience that does not require IT support, resulting in strong gains in productivity, as analytics that previously involved IT and took weeks to deliver can now be created and published in a matter of hours.
Unfortunately, the proliferation of standalone visual data discovery tools creates serious security and governance concerns, especially as usage grows. Because data storage is often local for each client, there is no single version of the truth across multi-user environments, so they are unsuitable for critical, system-of-record applications where data security and trustworthiness is of paramount importance. Beyond this, standalone visual data discovery tools do not scale gracefully and lack enterprise features like production reporting, sophisticated security and access controls, and native mobile app support. That is why most implementations of standalone agile tools remain limited to teams or departments and are employed for ad hoc analysis rather than operational applications.
MicroStrategy 9.3.1 delivers visual data discovery within a comprehensive enterprise BI platform, combining the self-service productivity with the security, scalability, and governance of a system-of-record business intelligence solution. With MicroStrategy 9.3.1, there is no need to compromise between agility and governance. The release empowers business users with the best of both worlds – beautiful, interactive visual analytics, together with data that companies can trust.
Superior Productivity for Business Users
MicroStrategy 9.3.1 includes important new user interface enhancements:
1) Powerful Connect-Discover-Dashboard-Share (CDDS) Workflow for Business Users. MicroStrategy 9.3.1 introduces a new, streamlined workflow to support business user self-service analytics. Users simply click "New Dashboard" on the MicroStrategy home page to initiate the workflow.
- Connect. Users begin by choosing their data source. They can quickly tap into existing datasets in MicroStrategy, access personal data sources like Excel files, and connect to SaaS-based data like Salesforce.com, relational databases, multi-dimensional databases, or Hadoop-based data. MicroStrategy's 9.3.1 streamlined data import process can augment and enrich time and geographic data.
- Discover. MicroStrategy 9.3.1 enables any user to explore and understand their data quickly and easily through a wide variety of stunning visualizations and drag-and-drop interactive filtering, powered by speed-of-thought in-memory database technology. MicroStrategy 9.3.1 delivers significant usability enhancements, including:
- Improved features for metric manipulation within reports, and enhancements to improve user experience for iterative data discovery interactions.
- Enhanced search features to enable business people to quickly find relevant business elements among long lists of data items.
- New presentation mode to maximize usable space for boardroom-style analytics.
- Undo/redo function to quickly make changes
- Dashboard. Building stunning, self-service dashboards has never been faster or easier. Users can quickly add multiple visualizations in a single dashboard from multiple data sources. Dashboard views can be quickly customized with drag-and-drop positioning for each visualization. MicroStrategy 9.3.1 also supports guided dashboard navigation for users with targeted, selection-based filtering. This synchronizes filtering across multiple views on a single dashboard, so a user selection of a data element on one visualization may act as a filter to update corresponding visualizations on the same dashboard.
- Share. MicroStrategy 9.3.1 enhances data sharing with new, one-click secure publishing that makes sharing dashboards and analytics effortless. Directly from the interface, users can generate and send links to their dashboards, or create code to embed their dashboard in any web page, portal, or blog. Users can quickly specify who has access to their dashboard, as well as their customized permission level (full control, read-only, modify, etc.). The secure nature of this fast, easy sharing functionality stands in sharp contrast to agile analytics point solutions. Dashboards can be shared on the web or via mobile devices.
2) New Web Interface. MicroStrategy 9.3.1 features a redesigned web interface with a clean, modern look-and-feel. Navigation is faster and easier with improved folder view functionality that enables users to track their location and customize views, and a new collapsible toolbar that makes it easy to take quick action without compromising usability.
3) KPI Publishing for Business Users. MicroStrategy 9.3.1 includes a powerful new web-based metric editor, which makes it easy for any user to define, save, and share metric or key performance indicator (KPI) definitions. Any changes made to a shared KPI permeate to all dashboards, reports, and analytics that use that KPI, enabling a single version of the truth for that metric definition.
"We are excited about the significant enhancements to the user interface and user experience in MicroStrategy 9.3.1," said Alberto Laudadio, Project Manager and Business Intelligence Architect for LATAM Cargo. "MicroStrategy has smartly given its Visual Insight data discovery tool the position of prominence in the interface, making it readily accessible to business users and signaling its importance as a dominant analytical paradigm. We anticipate these improvements will significantly increase our user productivity."
Better Access to Big Data
MicroStrategy 9.3.1 delivers seamless, optimized access to the entire ecosystem of enterprise data, ranging from personal data sources like Excel files, to multidimensional databases, relational databases and data warehouses, columnar databases, SaaS-based application data, and even the most massive Hadoop-based data sources.
MicroStrategy is consistently recognized as a leader in large-scale analytical applications. For five consecutive years, an independent report, The BI Survey, published by BARC, has found that MicroStrategy customers consistently analyze the highest median data volumes compared to customers of other vendors.
MicroStrategy 9.3.1 supports growing customer demand for large-scale data analytics that address increasing volume, variety, and velocity of data with a range of new, optimized data source connectors:
- Hadoop. Enables a broad range of users, including business analysts and non-technical users, to access, analyze, and extract actionable insight from Hadoop Distributed File Systems (HDFS) without the need to develop HiveQL scripts or MapReduce jobs. In addition, MicroStrategy 9.3.1 supports new technologies that accelerate the analytical performance of Hadoop, including Cloudera's Impala project and IBM's BigSQL solution.
- Relational Databases and Warehouses. The new release adds certified integrations to a variety of new relational database technologies. These include:
- Google BigQuery, a Cloud-based columnar database-as-a-service.
- Amazon Redshift, a high performance, cloud-based analytical data warehouse service.
- Calpont InfiniDB, a high performance, MPP columnar database.
- SaaS-based Data Sources. MicroStrategy 9.3.1 delivers real-time integration to a variety of the most common cloud-based software-as-a-service (SaaS) applications, such as Facebook, NetSuite, SugarCRM, Eloqua, and Zendesk. MicroStrategy leverages a certified integration with its Elastic Intelligence's Connection Cloud service to support this connectivity.
More Expansive Advanced and Predictive Analytics
With MicroStrategy 9.3.1, no additional third-party analytics products are necessary to deliver the vast majority of analytics required by business users. MicroStrategy 9.3.1 natively incorporates over 300 of the most commonly used business analytical functions, ranging from data summarization and trending, to relationship analysis and projections. These functions are designed to support the vast majority of business analytics use cases. For situations that require non-native, advanced predictive or prescriptive analytics, MicroStrategy 9.3.1 can expand its functional range to include the more than 5,000 analytical computations available within the "R" open source project, the world's most widely used statistical computing language. As a result, MicroStrategy can deliver the broadest range of analytical functions in the industry directly into any report, dashboard, or interactive visualization.
The new release expands on previous MicroStrategy support for "R" with a new MicroStrategy "R" Integration Pack that streamlines the process of creating "R"-based metrics in the platform. Now, customers that have created predictive and data mining models developed using Predictive Model Markup Language (PMML) in "R" can use the new Integration Pack to create new "R"-based metrics directly in MicroStrategy with just a single click. Like other MicroStrategy metrics, "R"-based metrics are fully governed and reusable.
To see a video demonstration of how "R" analytics can be used within MicroStrategy's Visual Insight product by any business user, visit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvrhXlYSvYQ.
Innovative Mobile App Platform
MicroStrategy's consistently highly-rated Mobile offering extends beyond basic mobile analytics to deliver an innovative Mobile App Platform that makes building mobile business apps easier and faster—and code free. MicroStrategy 9.3.1 includes dozens of powerful new capabilities and improvements to the company's Mobile App Platform. Developers now can build more compelling, high-performing, information-driven Mobile apps to help businesses mobilize information and take business action on tablets and smartphones. The new improvements include:
1) Best Mobile Performance. The latest release boasts huge performance improvements for all apps built and powered by MicroStrategy Mobile 9.3.1. Performance optimizations have been realized across the platform and throughout apps themselves, resulting in a much faster end-user experience for every user of MicroStrategy Mobile™.
2) Alerting Capabilities for Every MicroStrategy Mobile-Powered App. MicroStrategy 9.3.1 Mobile Apps utilize App badges directly on the App icon to notify users of new important information.
3) Business Apps that Empower and Amaze. In MicroStrategy 9.3.1, app developers can take advantage of a set of new animation controls when linking to, or from, Information Windows. Information Windows can be configured to fade in, scale up, or slide in with a drawer effect, from any side of the app.
4) Customized Animated Splash Screen Experience for any Mobile App. This exciting animation is dynamically custom built out of any image provided by the app developer. As the animation plays and sets a high-quality, professional tone, the custom interactive app loads in the background for a seamless app start, thus optimizing user experience.
5) Intuitive and Inexpensive Command Centers. MicroStrategy 9.3.1 includes new capabilities to support using multiple iPads to drive an interactive connected set of HDTV displays—via mirrored Apple TVs. Users touch any iPad in the cluster to control what is displayed; any single selection passes to each iPad. All iPads instantly update to reflect the selections—on the device and on the wall. With the powerful Intelligence Mobile Platform hosted in the cloud, businesses only need a few Apple iPads, Apple TVs, and HDTV screens to deliver a dynamic touch-enabled command center. To see a brief demonstration, view this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCjTFa2S7fI.
6) Powerful Enhancements for Mobile Analytics Apps. MicroStrategy 9.3.1 includes a large number of enhancements that improve and extend analytics apps built by MicroStrategy customers for their employees, partners, and customers. Users can take advantage of the multi-thread capability of every MicroStrategy Mobile App by sending any long-running documents to the background for continued execution, while simultaneously interacting live with other parts of the app. App elements can be set to refresh automatically, perfect for rendering live data streams like stock or currency prices, or to refresh regularly, for information like customer service center KPIs. Additionally, MicroStrategy further enhanced its Mobile Library of Graphs and Advanced Data Visualizations.
"With the enhancements to MicroStrategy Mobile in 9.3.1, we are offering an optimal solution to build business apps that are equal parts compelling, impactful, exciting, and enterprise-class," said Saylor. "These are apps that business users want to use."
Flexible Deployment Options
MicroStrategy offers the flexibility of taking advantage of all this new functionality in two ways: the traditional, on-premises license software model, or a full turnkey platform Cloud offering to get up and running quickly.
A focused Cloud SaaS application, called MicroStrategy Express™, also gives users the ability to experience MicroStrategy's visual data discovery capability instantly. Express is free to try at http://www.microstrategy.com/express.
Join Us for the MicroStrategy 9.3.1 Webcasts
For more details on MicroStrategy 9.3.1, please join our two-part webcast on Wednesday, April 24 and Friday, April 26, 2013. The webcasts provide overviews and demonstrations of the highlights in this innovative core platform release.
- Wednesday, April 24, 9:00 am EDT or 1:00 pm EDT: Agile Visual Analytics Meets Comprehensive Enterprise BI Platform
- Friday, April 26, 9:00 am EDT or 1:00 pm EDT: MicroStrategy Mobile 9.3.1: In the Words of Jerry Maguire, it Will Have You at Hello
About MicroStrategy Incorporated
Founded in 1989, MicroStrategy (Nasdaq: MSTR) is a leading worldwide provider of enterprise software, including the MicroStrategy Business Intelligence (BI) Platform™, the MicroStrategy Mobile Platform™, and MicroStrategy Applications™. The Company offers its technologies for deployment in customer data centers and as proprietary cloud services. The MicroStrategy BI Platform enables leading organizations to analyze vast amounts of data and distribute business insight throughout the enterprise. The MicroStrategy Mobile Platform lets organizations rapidly build enterprise-caliber mobile applications needed to mobilize business processes and information. MicroStrategy Applications are a set of application services designed to help enterprises deploy mobile commerce and loyalty services, build mobile identity and cyber security services, as well as generate real-time insights into consumer preferences. MicroStrategy Cloud™ allows enterprises to deploy MicroStrategy BI apps and mobile apps more quickly and with lower financial risk than with traditional on-premises solutions. To learn more about MicroStrategy, visit www.microstrategy.com and follow us on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/microstrategy) and Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/microstrategy).
MicroStrategy, MicroStrategy Business Intelligence Platform, MicroStrategy Mobile, MicroStrategy Mobile Platform, MicroStrategy Applications, MicroStrategy Express and MicroStrategy Cloud are either trademarks or registered trademarks of MicroStrategy Incorporated in the United States and certain other countries. Other product and company names mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.
SOURCE MicroStrategy Incorporated
Increasing IoT connectivity is forcing enterprises to find elegant solutions to organize and visualize all incoming data from these connected devices with re-configurable dashboard widgets to effectively allow rapid decision-making for everything from immediate actions in tactical situations to strategic analysis and reporting. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Shikhir Singh, Senior Developer Relations Manager at Sencha, will discuss how to create HTML5 dashboards that interact with IoT devic...
May. 5, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,466
We’ve worked with dozens of early adopters across numerous industries and will debunk common misperceptions, which starts with understanding that many of the connected products we’ll use over the next 5 years are already products, they’re just not yet connected. With an IoT product, time-in-market provides much more essential feedback than ever before. Innovation comes from what you do with the data that the connected product provides in order to enhance the customer experience and optimize busi...
May. 5, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,357
The IoTs will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and share the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the development proc...
May. 5, 2016 06:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,032
A critical component of any IoT project is the back-end systems that capture data from remote IoT devices and structure it in a way to answer useful questions. Traditional data warehouse and analytical systems are mature technologies that can be used to handle large data sets, but they are not well suited to many IoT-scale products and the need for real-time insights. At Fuze, we have developed a backend platform as part of our mobility-oriented cloud service that uses Big Data-based approache...
May. 5, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 761
trust and privacy in their ecosystem. Assurance and protection of device identity, secure data encryption and authentication are the key security challenges organizations are trying to address when integrating IoT devices. This holds true for IoT applications in a wide range of industries, for example, healthcare, consumer devices, and manufacturing. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Lancen LaChance, vice president of product management, IoT solutions at GlobalSign, will teach IoT developers how t...
May. 5, 2016 03:45 PM EDT Reads: 717
Digital payments using wearable devices such as smart watches, fitness trackers, and payment wristbands are an increasing area of focus for industry participants, and consumer acceptance from early trials and deployments has encouraged some of the biggest names in technology and banking to continue their push to drive growth in this nascent market. Wearable payment systems may utilize near field communication (NFC), radio frequency identification (RFID), or quick response (QR) codes and barcodes...
May. 5, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,059
SYS-CON Events announced today that Peak 10, Inc., a national IT infrastructure and cloud services provider, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 18th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Peak 10 provides reliable, tailored data center and network services, cloud and managed services. Its solutions are designed to scale and adapt to customers’ changing business needs, enabling them to lower costs, improve performance and focus inter...
May. 5, 2016 02:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,482
We're entering the post-smartphone era, where wearable gadgets from watches and fitness bands to glasses and health aids will power the next technological revolution. With mass adoption of wearable devices comes a new data ecosystem that must be protected. Wearables open new pathways that facilitate the tracking, sharing and storing of consumers’ personal health, location and daily activity data. Consumers have some idea of the data these devices capture, but most don’t realize how revealing and...
May. 5, 2016 01:45 PM EDT Reads: 756
The demand for organizations to expand their infrastructure to multiple IT environments like the cloud, on-premise, mobile, bring your own device (BYOD) and the Internet of Things (IoT) continues to grow. As this hybrid infrastructure increases, the challenge to monitor the security of these systems increases in volume and complexity. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stephen Coty, Chief Security Evangelist at Alert Logic, will show how properly configured and managed security architecture can...
May. 5, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 581
The IETF draft standard for M2M certificates is a security solution specifically designed for the demanding needs of IoT/M2M applications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Brian Romansky, VP of Strategic Technology at TrustPoint Innovation, will explain how M2M certificates can efficiently enable confidentiality, integrity, and authenticity on highly constrained devices.
May. 5, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,352
There is an ever-growing explosion of new devices that are connected to the Internet using “cloud” solutions. This rapid growth is creating a massive new demand for efficient access to data. And it’s not just about connecting to that data anymore. This new demand is bringing new issues and challenges and it is important for companies to scale for the coming growth. And with that scaling comes the need for greater security, gathering and data analysis, storage, connectivity and, of course, the...
May. 5, 2016 12:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,316
So, you bought into the current machine learning craze and went on to collect millions/billions of records from this promising new data source. Now, what do you do with them? Too often, the abundance of data quickly turns into an abundance of problems. How do you extract that "magic essence" from your data without falling into the common pitfalls? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Natalia Ponomareva, Software Engineer at Google, will provide tips on how to be successful in large scale machine lear...
May. 5, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,567
Artificial Intelligence has the potential to massively disrupt IoT. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, AJ Abdallat, CEO of Beyond AI, will discuss what the five main drivers are in Artificial Intelligence that could shape the future of the Internet of Things. AJ Abdallat is CEO of Beyond AI. He has over 20 years of management experience in the fields of artificial intelligence, sensors, instruments, devices and software for telecommunications, life sciences, environmental monitoring, process...
May. 5, 2016 09:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,491
You think you know what’s in your data. But do you? Most organizations are now aware of the business intelligence represented by their data. Data science stands to take this to a level you never thought of – literally. The techniques of data science, when used with the capabilities of Big Data technologies, can make connections you had not yet imagined, helping you discover new insights and ask new questions of your data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Sarbjit Sarkaria, data science team lead ...
May. 5, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,282
SYS-CON Events announced today that Ericsson has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. Ericsson is a world leader in the rapidly changing environment of communications technology – providing equipment, software and services to enable transformation through mobility. Some 40 percent of global mobile traffic runs through networks we have supplied. More than 1 billion subscribers around the world re...
May. 5, 2016 08:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,394
In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Klein, CEO and Co-founder of Rachio, will discuss next generation communities that are using IoT to create more sustainable, intelligent communities. One example is Sterling Ranch, a 10,000 home development that – with the help of Siemens – will integrate IoT technology into the community to provide residents with energy and water savings as well as intelligent security. Everything from stop lights to sprinkler systems to building infrastructures will run ef...
May. 5, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,325
Manufacturers are embracing the Industrial Internet the same way consumers are leveraging Fitbits – to improve overall health and wellness. Both can provide consistent measurement, visibility, and suggest performance improvements customized to help reach goals. Fitbit users can view real-time data and make adjustments to increase their activity. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mark Bernardo Professional Services Leader, Americas, at GE Digital, will discuss how leveraging the Industrial Interne...
May. 5, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,416
The increasing popularity of the Internet of Things necessitates that our physical and cognitive relationship with wearable technology will change rapidly in the near future. This advent means logging has become a thing of the past. Before, it was on us to track our own data, but now that data is automatically available. What does this mean for mHealth and the "connected" body? In her session at @ThingsExpo, Lisa Calkins, CEO and co-founder of Amadeus Consulting, will discuss the impact of wea...
May. 5, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,237
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
May. 4, 2016 11:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,291
You deployed your app with the Bluemix PaaS and it's gaining some serious traction, so it's time to make some tweaks. Did you design your application in a way that it can scale in the cloud? Were you even thinking about the cloud when you built the app? If not, chances are your app is going to break. Check out this webcast to learn various techniques for designing applications that will scale successfully in Bluemix, for the confidence you need to take your apps to the next level and beyond.
May. 3, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,654