|By PR Newswire||
|April 24, 2013 08:00 AM EDT||
TYSONS CORNER, Va., April 24, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- MicroStrategy® Incorporated (Nasdaq: MSTR), a leading worldwide provider of business intelligence (BI) and mobile software, today unveiled MicroStrategy 9.3.1™, the latest version of the Company's core enterprise analytics platform.
MicroStrategy 9.3.1 breaks new ground by combining innovative, industry-leading visual data discovery with enterprise-grade, system-of-record BI. With significant user interface innovations and major feature enhancements, MicroStrategy 9.3.1 takes agile visual analytics to a new level, delivering:
- Superior Productivity for Business Users. A streamlined user experience, more powerful data exploration features, and new capabilities to securely share visual analytics and insight make MicroStrategy 9.3.1 more productive for every business user.
- Better Access to Big Data. Optimized data source connections make it easier to access and analyze the entire ecosystem of enterprise data, including Hadoop-based data.
- More Expansive Advanced and Predictive Analytics. MicroStrategy 9.3.1 enables business users to quickly and easily leverage advanced analytics to improve decision-making.
- Innovative Mobile Applications. Native mobile apps for an immersive analytical experience and improved app platform capabilities for code-free development of any mobile business app.
- More Flexible Deployment Options. MicroStrategy 9.3.1 can be installed and deployed on premises, and is also available as a subscription-based service with MicroStrategy Cloud™.
"MicroStrategy 9.3.1 delivers on the promise of agile visual data discovery -- fast, easy-to-use, self-service analytics for business, with all the security, performance, scale, and reliability of an enterprise-grade BI platform," said Michael Saylor, Chairman and CEO, MicroStrategy Incorporated.
Agile Visual Data Discovery Without Compromise
Visual data discovery has become popular because it enables business users to quickly analyze their data with intuitive, interactive visual tools and then build and publish their own analytical dashboards. Unlike other business intelligence approaches, visual data discovery delivers a self-service experience that does not require IT support, resulting in strong gains in productivity, as analytics that previously involved IT and took weeks to deliver can now be created and published in a matter of hours.
Unfortunately, the proliferation of standalone visual data discovery tools creates serious security and governance concerns, especially as usage grows. Because data storage is often local for each client, there is no single version of the truth across multi-user environments, so they are unsuitable for critical, system-of-record applications where data security and trustworthiness is of paramount importance. Beyond this, standalone visual data discovery tools do not scale gracefully and lack enterprise features like production reporting, sophisticated security and access controls, and native mobile app support. That is why most implementations of standalone agile tools remain limited to teams or departments and are employed for ad hoc analysis rather than operational applications.
MicroStrategy 9.3.1 delivers visual data discovery within a comprehensive enterprise BI platform, combining the self-service productivity with the security, scalability, and governance of a system-of-record business intelligence solution. With MicroStrategy 9.3.1, there is no need to compromise between agility and governance. The release empowers business users with the best of both worlds – beautiful, interactive visual analytics, together with data that companies can trust.
Superior Productivity for Business Users
MicroStrategy 9.3.1 includes important new user interface enhancements:
1) Powerful Connect-Discover-Dashboard-Share (CDDS) Workflow for Business Users. MicroStrategy 9.3.1 introduces a new, streamlined workflow to support business user self-service analytics. Users simply click "New Dashboard" on the MicroStrategy home page to initiate the workflow.
- Connect. Users begin by choosing their data source. They can quickly tap into existing datasets in MicroStrategy, access personal data sources like Excel files, and connect to SaaS-based data like Salesforce.com, relational databases, multi-dimensional databases, or Hadoop-based data. MicroStrategy's 9.3.1 streamlined data import process can augment and enrich time and geographic data.
- Discover. MicroStrategy 9.3.1 enables any user to explore and understand their data quickly and easily through a wide variety of stunning visualizations and drag-and-drop interactive filtering, powered by speed-of-thought in-memory database technology. MicroStrategy 9.3.1 delivers significant usability enhancements, including:
- Improved features for metric manipulation within reports, and enhancements to improve user experience for iterative data discovery interactions.
- Enhanced search features to enable business people to quickly find relevant business elements among long lists of data items.
- New presentation mode to maximize usable space for boardroom-style analytics.
- Undo/redo function to quickly make changes
- Dashboard. Building stunning, self-service dashboards has never been faster or easier. Users can quickly add multiple visualizations in a single dashboard from multiple data sources. Dashboard views can be quickly customized with drag-and-drop positioning for each visualization. MicroStrategy 9.3.1 also supports guided dashboard navigation for users with targeted, selection-based filtering. This synchronizes filtering across multiple views on a single dashboard, so a user selection of a data element on one visualization may act as a filter to update corresponding visualizations on the same dashboard.
- Share. MicroStrategy 9.3.1 enhances data sharing with new, one-click secure publishing that makes sharing dashboards and analytics effortless. Directly from the interface, users can generate and send links to their dashboards, or create code to embed their dashboard in any web page, portal, or blog. Users can quickly specify who has access to their dashboard, as well as their customized permission level (full control, read-only, modify, etc.). The secure nature of this fast, easy sharing functionality stands in sharp contrast to agile analytics point solutions. Dashboards can be shared on the web or via mobile devices.
2) New Web Interface. MicroStrategy 9.3.1 features a redesigned web interface with a clean, modern look-and-feel. Navigation is faster and easier with improved folder view functionality that enables users to track their location and customize views, and a new collapsible toolbar that makes it easy to take quick action without compromising usability.
3) KPI Publishing for Business Users. MicroStrategy 9.3.1 includes a powerful new web-based metric editor, which makes it easy for any user to define, save, and share metric or key performance indicator (KPI) definitions. Any changes made to a shared KPI permeate to all dashboards, reports, and analytics that use that KPI, enabling a single version of the truth for that metric definition.
"We are excited about the significant enhancements to the user interface and user experience in MicroStrategy 9.3.1," said Alberto Laudadio, Project Manager and Business Intelligence Architect for LATAM Cargo. "MicroStrategy has smartly given its Visual Insight data discovery tool the position of prominence in the interface, making it readily accessible to business users and signaling its importance as a dominant analytical paradigm. We anticipate these improvements will significantly increase our user productivity."
Better Access to Big Data
MicroStrategy 9.3.1 delivers seamless, optimized access to the entire ecosystem of enterprise data, ranging from personal data sources like Excel files, to multidimensional databases, relational databases and data warehouses, columnar databases, SaaS-based application data, and even the most massive Hadoop-based data sources.
MicroStrategy is consistently recognized as a leader in large-scale analytical applications. For five consecutive years, an independent report, The BI Survey, published by BARC, has found that MicroStrategy customers consistently analyze the highest median data volumes compared to customers of other vendors.
MicroStrategy 9.3.1 supports growing customer demand for large-scale data analytics that address increasing volume, variety, and velocity of data with a range of new, optimized data source connectors:
- Hadoop. Enables a broad range of users, including business analysts and non-technical users, to access, analyze, and extract actionable insight from Hadoop Distributed File Systems (HDFS) without the need to develop HiveQL scripts or MapReduce jobs. In addition, MicroStrategy 9.3.1 supports new technologies that accelerate the analytical performance of Hadoop, including Cloudera's Impala project and IBM's BigSQL solution.
- Relational Databases and Warehouses. The new release adds certified integrations to a variety of new relational database technologies. These include:
- Google BigQuery, a Cloud-based columnar database-as-a-service.
- Amazon Redshift, a high performance, cloud-based analytical data warehouse service.
- Calpont InfiniDB, a high performance, MPP columnar database.
- SaaS-based Data Sources. MicroStrategy 9.3.1 delivers real-time integration to a variety of the most common cloud-based software-as-a-service (SaaS) applications, such as Facebook, NetSuite, SugarCRM, Eloqua, and Zendesk. MicroStrategy leverages a certified integration with its Elastic Intelligence's Connection Cloud service to support this connectivity.
More Expansive Advanced and Predictive Analytics
With MicroStrategy 9.3.1, no additional third-party analytics products are necessary to deliver the vast majority of analytics required by business users. MicroStrategy 9.3.1 natively incorporates over 300 of the most commonly used business analytical functions, ranging from data summarization and trending, to relationship analysis and projections. These functions are designed to support the vast majority of business analytics use cases. For situations that require non-native, advanced predictive or prescriptive analytics, MicroStrategy 9.3.1 can expand its functional range to include the more than 5,000 analytical computations available within the "R" open source project, the world's most widely used statistical computing language. As a result, MicroStrategy can deliver the broadest range of analytical functions in the industry directly into any report, dashboard, or interactive visualization.
The new release expands on previous MicroStrategy support for "R" with a new MicroStrategy "R" Integration Pack that streamlines the process of creating "R"-based metrics in the platform. Now, customers that have created predictive and data mining models developed using Predictive Model Markup Language (PMML) in "R" can use the new Integration Pack to create new "R"-based metrics directly in MicroStrategy with just a single click. Like other MicroStrategy metrics, "R"-based metrics are fully governed and reusable.
To see a video demonstration of how "R" analytics can be used within MicroStrategy's Visual Insight product by any business user, visit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvrhXlYSvYQ.
Innovative Mobile App Platform
MicroStrategy's consistently highly-rated Mobile offering extends beyond basic mobile analytics to deliver an innovative Mobile App Platform that makes building mobile business apps easier and faster—and code free. MicroStrategy 9.3.1 includes dozens of powerful new capabilities and improvements to the company's Mobile App Platform. Developers now can build more compelling, high-performing, information-driven Mobile apps to help businesses mobilize information and take business action on tablets and smartphones. The new improvements include:
1) Best Mobile Performance. The latest release boasts huge performance improvements for all apps built and powered by MicroStrategy Mobile 9.3.1. Performance optimizations have been realized across the platform and throughout apps themselves, resulting in a much faster end-user experience for every user of MicroStrategy Mobile™.
2) Alerting Capabilities for Every MicroStrategy Mobile-Powered App. MicroStrategy 9.3.1 Mobile Apps utilize App badges directly on the App icon to notify users of new important information.
3) Business Apps that Empower and Amaze. In MicroStrategy 9.3.1, app developers can take advantage of a set of new animation controls when linking to, or from, Information Windows. Information Windows can be configured to fade in, scale up, or slide in with a drawer effect, from any side of the app.
4) Customized Animated Splash Screen Experience for any Mobile App. This exciting animation is dynamically custom built out of any image provided by the app developer. As the animation plays and sets a high-quality, professional tone, the custom interactive app loads in the background for a seamless app start, thus optimizing user experience.
5) Intuitive and Inexpensive Command Centers. MicroStrategy 9.3.1 includes new capabilities to support using multiple iPads to drive an interactive connected set of HDTV displays—via mirrored Apple TVs. Users touch any iPad in the cluster to control what is displayed; any single selection passes to each iPad. All iPads instantly update to reflect the selections—on the device and on the wall. With the powerful Intelligence Mobile Platform hosted in the cloud, businesses only need a few Apple iPads, Apple TVs, and HDTV screens to deliver a dynamic touch-enabled command center. To see a brief demonstration, view this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCjTFa2S7fI.
6) Powerful Enhancements for Mobile Analytics Apps. MicroStrategy 9.3.1 includes a large number of enhancements that improve and extend analytics apps built by MicroStrategy customers for their employees, partners, and customers. Users can take advantage of the multi-thread capability of every MicroStrategy Mobile App by sending any long-running documents to the background for continued execution, while simultaneously interacting live with other parts of the app. App elements can be set to refresh automatically, perfect for rendering live data streams like stock or currency prices, or to refresh regularly, for information like customer service center KPIs. Additionally, MicroStrategy further enhanced its Mobile Library of Graphs and Advanced Data Visualizations.
"With the enhancements to MicroStrategy Mobile in 9.3.1, we are offering an optimal solution to build business apps that are equal parts compelling, impactful, exciting, and enterprise-class," said Saylor. "These are apps that business users want to use."
Flexible Deployment Options
MicroStrategy offers the flexibility of taking advantage of all this new functionality in two ways: the traditional, on-premises license software model, or a full turnkey platform Cloud offering to get up and running quickly.
A focused Cloud SaaS application, called MicroStrategy Express™, also gives users the ability to experience MicroStrategy's visual data discovery capability instantly. Express is free to try at http://www.microstrategy.com/express.
Join Us for the MicroStrategy 9.3.1 Webcasts
For more details on MicroStrategy 9.3.1, please join our two-part webcast on Wednesday, April 24 and Friday, April 26, 2013. The webcasts provide overviews and demonstrations of the highlights in this innovative core platform release.
- Wednesday, April 24, 9:00 am EDT or 1:00 pm EDT: Agile Visual Analytics Meets Comprehensive Enterprise BI Platform
- Friday, April 26, 9:00 am EDT or 1:00 pm EDT: MicroStrategy Mobile 9.3.1: In the Words of Jerry Maguire, it Will Have You at Hello
About MicroStrategy Incorporated
Founded in 1989, MicroStrategy (Nasdaq: MSTR) is a leading worldwide provider of enterprise software, including the MicroStrategy Business Intelligence (BI) Platform™, the MicroStrategy Mobile Platform™, and MicroStrategy Applications™. The Company offers its technologies for deployment in customer data centers and as proprietary cloud services. The MicroStrategy BI Platform enables leading organizations to analyze vast amounts of data and distribute business insight throughout the enterprise. The MicroStrategy Mobile Platform lets organizations rapidly build enterprise-caliber mobile applications needed to mobilize business processes and information. MicroStrategy Applications are a set of application services designed to help enterprises deploy mobile commerce and loyalty services, build mobile identity and cyber security services, as well as generate real-time insights into consumer preferences. MicroStrategy Cloud™ allows enterprises to deploy MicroStrategy BI apps and mobile apps more quickly and with lower financial risk than with traditional on-premises solutions. To learn more about MicroStrategy, visit www.microstrategy.com and follow us on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/microstrategy) and Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/microstrategy).
MicroStrategy, MicroStrategy Business Intelligence Platform, MicroStrategy Mobile, MicroStrategy Mobile Platform, MicroStrategy Applications, MicroStrategy Express and MicroStrategy Cloud are either trademarks or registered trademarks of MicroStrategy Incorporated in the United States and certain other countries. Other product and company names mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.
SOURCE MicroStrategy Incorporated
“In the past year we've seen a lot of stabilization of WebRTC. You can now use it in production with a far greater degree of certainty. A lot of the real developments in the past year have been in things like the data channel, which will enable a whole new type of application," explained Peter Dunkley, Technical Director at Acision, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 19, 2014 04:00 PM EST Reads: 1,807
The BPM world is going through some evolution or changes where traditional business process management solutions really have nowhere to go in terms of development of the road map. In this demo at 15th Cloud Expo, Kyle Hansen, Director of Professional Services at AgilePoint, shows AgilePoint’s unique approach to dealing with this market circumstance by developing a rapid application composition or development framework.
Dec. 19, 2014 03:45 PM EST Reads: 1,057
The major cloud platforms defy a simple, side-by-side analysis. Each of the major IaaS public-cloud platforms offers their own unique strengths and functionality. Options for on-site private cloud are diverse as well, and must be designed and deployed while taking existing legacy architecture and infrastructure into account. Then the reality is that most enterprises are embarking on a hybrid cloud strategy and programs. In this Power Panel at 15th Cloud Expo (http://www.CloudComputingExpo.com), moderated by Ashar Baig, Research Director, Cloud, at Gigaom Research, Nate Gordon, Director of T...
Dec. 19, 2014 11:30 AM EST Reads: 2,899
"BSQUARE is in the business of selling software solutions for smart connected devices. It's obvious that IoT has moved from being a technology to being a fundamental part of business, and in the last 18 months people have said let's figure out how to do it and let's put some focus on it, " explained Dave Wagstaff, VP & Chief Architect, at BSQUARE Corporation, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4-6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 19, 2014 11:00 AM EST Reads: 2,356
SYS-CON Events announced today that Windstream, a leading provider of advanced network and cloud communications, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9–11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York, NY. Windstream (Nasdaq: WIN), a FORTUNE 500 and S&P 500 company, is a leading provider of advanced network communications, including cloud computing and managed services, to businesses nationwide. The company also offers broadband, phone and digital TV services to consumers primarily in rural areas.
Dec. 19, 2014 07:00 AM EST Reads: 2,724
The Internet of Things is not new. Historically, smart businesses have used its basic concept of leveraging data to drive better decision making and have capitalized on those insights to realize additional revenue opportunities. So, what has changed to make the Internet of Things one of the hottest topics in tech? In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Gray, Director, Embedded and Internet of Things, discussed the underlying factors that are driving the economics of intelligent systems. Discover how hardware commoditization, the ubiquitous nature of connectivity, and the emergence of Big Data a...
Dec. 19, 2014 06:30 AM EST Reads: 2,728
ARMONK, N.Y., Nov. 20, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- IBM (NYSE: IBM) today announced that it is bringing a greater level of control, security and flexibility to cloud-based application development and delivery with a single-tenant version of Bluemix, IBM's platform-as-a-service. The new platform enables developers to build ap...
Dec. 19, 2014 05:00 AM EST Reads: 3,013
SYS-CON Events announced today that IDenticard will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. IDenticard™ is the security division of Brady Corp (NYSE: BRC), a $1.5 billion manufacturer of identification products. We have small-company values with the strength and stability of a major corporation. IDenticard offers local sales, support and service to our customers across the United States and Canada. Our partner network encompasses some 300 of the world's leading systems integrators and security s...
Dec. 19, 2014 04:00 AM EST Reads: 2,427
DevOps Summit 2015 New York, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that it is now accepting Keynote Proposals. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long development cycles that produce software that is obsolete at launch. DevOps may be disruptive, but it is essential.
Dec. 18, 2014 09:45 PM EST Reads: 1,590
"People are a lot more knowledgeable about APIs now. There are two types of people who work with APIs - IT people who want to use APIs for something internal and the product managers who want to do something outside APIs for people to connect to them," explained Roberto Medrano, Executive Vice President at SOA Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 18, 2014 09:00 AM EST Reads: 2,134
Nigeria has the largest economy in Africa, at more than US$500 billion, and ranks 23rd in the world. A recent re-evaluation of Nigeria's true economic size doubled the previous estimate, and brought it well ahead of South Africa, which is a member (unlike Nigeria) of the G20 club for political as well as economic reasons. Nigeria's economy can be said to be quite diverse from one point of view, but heavily dependent on oil and gas at the same time. Oil and natural gas account for about 15% of Nigera's overall economy, but traditionally represent more than 90% of the country's exports and as...
Dec. 18, 2014 06:00 AM EST Reads: 1,209
The Internet of Things is a misnomer. That implies that everything is on the Internet, and that simply should not be - especially for things that are blurring the line between medical devices that stimulate like a pacemaker and quantified self-sensors like a pedometer or pulse tracker. The mesh of things that we manage must be segmented into zones of trust for sensing data, transmitting data, receiving command and control administrative changes, and peer-to-peer mesh messaging. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Ryan Bagnulo, Solution Architect / Software Engineer at SOA Software, focused on desi...
Dec. 17, 2014 11:15 PM EST Reads: 2,130
"At our booth we are showing how to provide trust in the Internet of Things. Trust is where everything starts to become secure and trustworthy. Now with the scaling of the Internet of Things it becomes an interesting question – I've heard numbers from 200 billion devices next year up to a trillion in the next 10 to 15 years," explained Johannes Lintzen, Vice President of Sales at Utimaco, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 17, 2014 11:00 PM EST Reads: 2,154
"For over 25 years we have been working with a lot of enterprise customers and we have seen how companies create applications. And now that we have moved to cloud computing, mobile, social and the Internet of Things, we see that the market needs a new way of creating applications," stated Jesse Shiah, CEO, President and Co-Founder of AgilePoint Inc., in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 15th Cloud Expo, held Nov 4–6, 2014, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Dec. 17, 2014 08:00 PM EST Reads: 2,134
SYS-CON Events announced today that Gridstore™, the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built to optimize Microsoft workloads, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 16th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Gridstore™ is the leader in hyper-converged infrastructure purpose-built for Microsoft workloads and designed to accelerate applications in virtualized environments. Gridstore’s hyper-converged infrastructure is the industry’s first all flash version of HyperConverged Appliances that include both compute and storag...
Dec. 17, 2014 06:30 PM EST Reads: 2,035
Today’s enterprise is being driven by disruptive competitive and human capital requirements to provide enterprise application access through not only desktops, but also mobile devices. To retrofit existing programs across all these devices using traditional programming methods is very costly and time consuming – often prohibitively so. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Jesse Shiah, CEO, President, and Co-Founder of AgilePoint Inc., discussed how you can create applications that run on all mobile devices as well as laptops and desktops using a visual drag-and-drop application – and eForms-buildi...
Dec. 17, 2014 11:45 AM EST Reads: 2,236
We certainly live in interesting technological times. And no more interesting than the current competing IoT standards for connectivity. Various standards bodies, approaches, and ecosystems are vying for mindshare and positioning for a competitive edge. It is clear that when the dust settles, we will have new protocols, evolved protocols, that will change the way we interact with devices and infrastructure. We will also have evolved web protocols, like HTTP/2, that will be changing the very core of our infrastructures. At the same time, we have old approaches made new again like micro-services...
Dec. 16, 2014 11:45 PM EST Reads: 2,109
Code Halos - aka "digital fingerprints" - are the key organizing principle to understand a) how dumb things become smart and b) how to monetize this dynamic. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Robert Brown, AVP, Center for the Future of Work at Cognizant Technology Solutions, outlined research, analysis and recommendations from his recently published book on this phenomena on the way leading edge organizations like GE and Disney are unlocking the Internet of Things opportunity and what steps your organization should be taking to position itself for the next platform of digital competition.
Dec. 15, 2014 11:45 PM EST Reads: 2,528
The 3rd International Internet of @ThingsExpo, co-located with the 16th International Cloud Expo - to be held June 9-11, 2015, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY - announces that its Call for Papers is now open. The Internet of Things (IoT) is the biggest idea since the creation of the Worldwide Web more than 20 years ago.
Dec. 15, 2014 10:30 AM EST Reads: 8,140
As the Internet of Things unfolds, mobile and wearable devices are blurring the line between physical and digital, integrating ever more closely with our interests, our routines, our daily lives. Contextual computing and smart, sensor-equipped spaces bring the potential to walk through a world that recognizes us and responds accordingly. We become continuous transmitters and receivers of data. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Andrew Bolwell, Director of Innovation for HP's Printing and Personal Systems Group, discussed how key attributes of mobile technology – touch input, sensors, social, and ...
Dec. 15, 2014 10:00 AM EST Reads: 3,280