|By David H Deans||
|January 6, 2014 12:04 PM EST||
The digital commerce applications market will grow at an 18.8 percent compound annual growth rate (CAGR) to $4.1 billion through 2017, according to the latest global market study by International Data Corporation (IDC).
Although there are multiple scenarios that could unfold, IDC believes the market will exhibit strong growth over the next five years -- as digital commerce apps are one of the fastest growing segments in the overall enterprise applications software market.
"New commerce offerings and vendors are launched continually, with retail being only one part of the story as organizations across every industry look to add commerce solutions to their products, services, and offerings and tap into new revenue opportunities," said Christine Dover, research director at IDC.
Enterprises are looking to replace aging, custom-developed software with more modern and nimble applications that allow them to move quickly into new markets with pop-up stores and omni-channel solutions.
IDC says that these digital commerce offerings provide consumers and business buyers with a consistent experience regardless of where they research, shop, buy, and return goods -- while online, mobile, in the store, or through the call center.
"The digital commerce applications market is strong and growing rapidly. While much of the current market is focused on North America and Western Europe -- where strong growth is expected to continue -- Asia-Pacific, Latin America, and Central and Eastern Europe, and Africa are also expected to be fast growing throughout the forecast period," added Dover.
Additional findings from the market study include:
- Market sizing, derived from detailed company-level analysis and top-down IDC analysis, places worldwide digital commerce applications revenue at $1.7 billion in 2012, representing an increase of 18 percent over the $1.5 billion in 2011.
- The top five vendors in 2012, based on worldwide revenue, were IBM, Oracle, Digital River, hybris, and Demandware, accounting for 45.6 percent of the market total.
- Cloud solutions are increasingly popular as they provide enterprises with the ability to pop-up a new store, quickly enter a new market, create a new revenue stream, and more.
- Top 20 Cyber Security Companies 2014
- March 2014 StorageIO Update Newsletter : Cisco Cloud, VMware VSAN and More
- OASIS Approves OData 4.0 Standards for an Open, Programmable Web
- Heartbleed OpenSSL Vulnerability
- Infonetics: Mobile Device Security Taking Front Stage as Businesses Try to Get Tighter Grip on Mobile Gear
- ActiveState Joins EMC, IBM, HP, Pivotal, Rackspace, SAP, VMware and CenturyLink to Bring Open Multi-Cloud Platform-as-a-Service to Enterprise Computing
- Cloud World Forum Addresses the Evolving Role of the CIO
- Two Emulex Controllers Achieved Huawei Ready Certification
- Emulex Announces Ethernet Networking and Converged Network Adapters for the Open Compute Project
- Canonical: Ubuntu 14.04 LTS the cloud platform of choice
- Global Cloud-based Storage Industry
- Research and Markets: Global Business Process Management (BPM) PaaS Market 2014-2018 with IBM Corp., OpenText Corp., and Pegasystems Inc. Dominating
- Lenovo to Acquire IBM's x86 Server Business
- Emulex Optimises Performance and Scalability for Virtualisation and the Cloud with New Ethernet and Converged Network Adapters
- Managed Server Hosting: The Ten Benefits
- RSA Conference USA 2014 Exhibitor Profiles (M Through Z)
- IBM Helps Business Partners Grow With Resources for Cloud, Big Data & Analytics
- Global Customer Relationship Management (CRM) Software Industry
- Enterprise Mobility 2013: BYOD, MDM, Big Data and Application Management
- 10 « ex bonnes pratiques » à abandonner et... 10 bonnes résolutions pour 2014. Troisième partie : dites non aux Clouds Privés !
- The Cloud-Based Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) Market 2013-2023
- Top 20 Cloud Computing Companies 2014
- Top 20 Cyber Security Companies 2014
- Cyber Security Market Forecast 2014-2024
- Java vs C++ "Shootout" Revisited
- Where Are RIA Technologies Headed in 2008?
- Unveiling the java.lang.Out OfMemoryError
- WebSphere Application Server Java Dumps
- Cloud People: A Who's Who of Cloud Computing
- How To Deploy Scalable WebSphere Applications Using "Maven" Build Tool
- Breaking News: New Internal IBM Report Says "Another Flawed Study"
- Profiles for WebSphere Application Server 6.0
- Last Exclusive JDJ Interview With "IBM's" John A. Swainson, Now CA's Newly Appointed CEO
- Developing Java and Web Services Applications on Rational Application Developer V6
- Automated Deployment of Enterprise Application Updates
- Your Guide to Portal Clustering in WebSphere Portal Server 5.1