|By Marketwired .||
|January 8, 2014 08:00 AM EST||
LOS ANGELES, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 01/08/14 -- Despite 2013's rocky start for insurance sign-ups and subsequent delays in enacting parts of the health insurance mandate, the pressures for providers and payers to adapt to healthcare reform will accelerate this year. Seismic shifts in the provider landscape will continue, with brisk deal-making by hospitals and health systems to gain economies of scale and expand their continuum of care, employers forging more direct arrangements with health systems, and non-traditional players extending their reach, according to The Camden Group's 2014 Top 10 Trends in Healthcare.
"We are three years into the biggest healthcare overhaul in a half-century, and many providers are plainly struggling," says Steven T. Valentine, president of The Camden Group. "2014 will be a pivotal year as cost-cutting and IT investments remain paramount, making new care and payment models work becomes critical, and public scrutiny on pricing, quality, and patient outcomes intensifies."
In short, the going is going to get tougher this year, as evident by The Camden Group's predictions of the major trends in 2014:
- Newly insured likely both a boon and a burden.
- From both exchanges and expanded Medicaid programs, the newly insured's impact remains a major question mark. Potential issues that could emerge are a rise in providers' bad debt, lower-than-expected enrollment that hurts payer profitability, very narrow networks and adverse selection through the insurance exchanges.
- Hospitals and physician groups that enjoy high prices, are operating at capacity and/or believe they can "ride it out" will likely choose to not participate, at least for the first year or two.
- With benefit design, economic incentives, and other changes that lower volume and reimbursement, hospitals will face revenue strain and greater labor strife as layoffs continue.
- The big will get bigger and broader.
- Discouraged by their lack of progress in transitioning to value-based care, many medical groups, IPAs, hospitals, and health systems will merge or be acquired.
- Health systems may merge with other systems to gain increased access points, greater critical mass, population health management knowledge, and a stronger presence in geographic areas or regions.
- Expect more vertical integration as providers build out post-acute care services and begin converting or repurposing facilities for skilled nursing, rehabilitation, step-down units, and transitional care units.
- As pricing and quality transparency increases, so will marketing and branding.
- Use of cost and quality profiles by public and private exchanges will take transparency and demands for it to new levels, beginning this year.
- Some employers, including Safeway, already have developed and now post pricing information for selected procedures on employee websites, and more will follow.
- Providers will go on the offensive, promoting access, experience and other strengths.
- Branding will rise in importance as hospitals, medical groups and systems continue consolidating while also collaborating with academic medical centers.
- Anticipate greater use of social media and marketing to the public, with tailoring to specific market segments, such as Medicaid, Medicare, ACOs, and self-funded employers.
- Large employers increasingly carve their own path.
- Expect expansion of existing and new models, including onsite clinics, like those at BMW, and more shifting to private insurance exchanges, following early adopters such as IBM, Kmart, and Walgreens.
- More will join Lowe's and Walmart in direct contracting with "Centers of Excellence" such as the Cleveland Clinic, Geisinger, Virginia Mason, and Baylor Scott & White Health.
- Deploying and optimizing IT remains essential and elusive.
- Providers will focus attention and investment on IT rather than diagnostic and therapeutic equipment and facilities.
- The goal: Exploiting IT to improve care and lower costs is growing, with everything from telehealth, e-visits, and mobile apps to population health analytics and big data.
- A huge hurdle for many health systems and physician organizations that are growing through mergers and acquisitions is how to move all to a common IT platform.
About The Camden Group
With offices across the country, The Camden Group is one of the nation's leading healthcare business advisory firms. The firm provides a broad array of healthcare consulting services such as strategic and business planning; mergers, acquisitions, and other transactions; physician-hospital alignment; clinical integration; and developing accountable care organizations. Since its founding in 1970, The Camden Group has advised more than 2,000 hospitals, medical groups, outpatient facilities, and other healthcare organizations nationwide. For more information, visit us online at www.TheCamdenGroup.com.
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2016 Silicon Valley. The 19th Cloud Expo and 6th @ThingsExpo will take place on November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Interne...
Jul. 23, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 1,895
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, discussed how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to imp...
Jul. 23, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,327
In addition to all the benefits, IoT is also bringing new kind of customer experience challenges - cars that unlock themselves, thermostats turning houses into saunas and baby video monitors broadcasting over the internet. This list can only increase because while IoT services should be intuitive and simple to use, the delivery ecosystem is a myriad of potential problems as IoT explodes complexity. So finding a performance issue is like finding the proverbial needle in the haystack.
Jul. 23, 2016 02:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,021
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, demonstrated how to move beyond today's coding paradigm and shared the must-have mindsets for removing complexity from the develo...
Jul. 23, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,002
SYS-CON Events announced today that MangoApps will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MangoApps provides modern company intranets and team collaboration software, allowing workers to stay connected and productive from anywhere in the world and from any device.
Jul. 23, 2016 01:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,141
The IETF draft standard for M2M certificates is a security solution specifically designed for the demanding needs of IoT/M2M applications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Brian Romansky, VP of Strategic Technology at TrustPoint Innovation, explained how M2M certificates can efficiently enable confidentiality, integrity, and authenticity on highly constrained devices.
Jul. 23, 2016 12:45 AM EDT Reads: 710
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Jul. 22, 2016 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 959
Early adopters of IoT viewed it mainly as a different term for machine-to-machine connectivity or M2M. This is understandable since a prerequisite for any IoT solution is the ability to collect and aggregate device data, which is most often presented in a dashboard. The problem is that viewing data in a dashboard requires a human to interpret the results and take manual action, which doesn’t scale to the needs of IoT.
Jul. 22, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,785
Internet of @ThingsExpo has announced today that Chris Matthieu has been named tech chair of Internet of @ThingsExpo 2016 Silicon Valley. The 6thInternet of @ThingsExpo will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jul. 22, 2016 10:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,821
When people aren’t talking about VMs and containers, they’re talking about serverless architecture. Serverless is about no maintenance. It means you are not worried about low-level infrastructural and operational details. An event-driven serverless platform is a great use case for IoT. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Animesh Singh, an STSM and Lead for IBM Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, will detail how to build a distributed serverless, polyglot, microservices framework using open source tec...
Jul. 22, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,170
“delaPlex Software provides software outsourcing services. We have a hybrid model where we have onshore developers and project managers that we can place anywhere in the U.S. or in Europe,” explained Manish Sachdeva, CEO at delaPlex Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 22, 2016 10:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,411
"My role is working with customers, helping them go through this digital transformation. I spend a lot of time talking to banks, big industries, manufacturers working through how they are integrating and transforming their IT platforms and moving them forward," explained William Morrish, General Manager Product Sales at Interoute, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 22, 2016 09:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,983
The 19th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Digital Transformation, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportuni...
Jul. 22, 2016 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 2,381
A critical component of any IoT project is what to do with all the data being generated. This data needs to be captured, processed, structured, and stored in a way to facilitate different kinds of queries. Traditional data warehouse and analytical systems are mature technologies that can be used to handle certain kinds of queries, but they are not always well suited to many problems, particularly when there is a need for real-time insights.
Jul. 22, 2016 09:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,602
IoT is rapidly changing the way enterprises are using data to improve business decision-making. In order to derive business value, organizations must unlock insights from the data gathered and then act on these. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, and Peter Shashkin, Head of Development Department at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how one organization leveraged IoT, cloud technology and data analysis to improve customer experiences and effi...
Jul. 22, 2016 09:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,898
The Internet of Things will challenge the status quo of how IT and development organizations operate. Or will it? Certainly the fog layer of IoT requires special insights about data ontology, security and transactional integrity. But the developmental challenges are the same: People, Process and Platform and how we integrate our thinking to solve complicated problems. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Craig Sproule, CEO of Metavine, will demonstrate how to move beyond today's coding paradigm ...
Jul. 22, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,070
From wearable activity trackers to fantasy e-sports, data and technology are transforming the way athletes train for the game and fans engage with their teams. In his session at @ThingsExpo, will present key data findings from leading sports organizations San Francisco 49ers, Orlando Magic NBA team. By utilizing data analytics these sports orgs have recognized new revenue streams, doubled its fan base and streamlined costs at its stadiums. John Paul is the CEO and Founder of VenueNext. Prior ...
Jul. 22, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,910
Big Data engines are powering a lot of service businesses right now. Data is collected from users from wearable technologies, web behaviors, purchase behavior as well as several arbitrary data points we’d never think of. The demand for faster and bigger engines to crunch and serve up the data to services is growing exponentially. You see a LOT of correlation between “Cloud” and “Big Data” but on Big Data and “Hybrid,” where hybrid hosting is the sanest approach to the Big Data Infrastructure pro...
Jul. 22, 2016 08:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,736
The Quantified Economy represents the total global addressable market (TAM) for IoT that, according to a recent IDC report, will grow to an unprecedented $1.3 trillion by 2019. With this the third wave of the Internet-global proliferation of connected devices, appliances and sensors is poised to take off in 2016. In his session at @ThingsExpo, David McLauchlan, CEO and co-founder of Buddy Platform, discussed how the ability to access and analyze the massive volume of streaming data from millio...
Jul. 22, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,099
Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with the 19th International Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world and ThingsExpo Silicon Valley Call for Papers is now open.
Jul. 22, 2016 07:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,383