|By PR Newswire||
|April 8, 2014 10:37 AM EDT||
NEW YORK, April 8, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- With an unprecedented influx of corporate data that's getting larger by the minute, storage administrators are being challenged to just keep pace, much less maintain control. And there's no relief in sight: Analysts predict data production will be 44 times larger in 2020 than it was in 2009, yet even sophisticated IT departments are relying on decades-old data storage technologies and strategies. It's clear that something has to change, but a desire to avoid capital expenditures and an "if it's not broken, don't fix it" mindset have left CIOs and their battle-weary storage admins wondering where to begin. That's why Logicalis US, an international IT solutions and managed services provider (www.us.logicalis.com), has created a roadmap, the Data Transformation Journey, giving IT pros a six-step plan that takes them from treating storage as a cost to leveraging data as an asset, offering a springboard for discussion at each stage along the way.
"As the old adage says, 'failing to plan is planning to fail,'" warns Bob Hankins, Vice President, Data and Storage Solutions, Logicalis US. "Everyone from the C-suite down has heard about big data and what it can mean in terms of competitive advantage – and they want to tap into that. But when what you can collect is defined by the physical container size of your storage, and when you haven't implemented a plan that includes managed services like disaster recovery as a service or storage as a service, you're going to find your line-of-business managers going outside of IT to procure better storage solutions. The problem is, they can't protect the data or manage loss prevention the way IT can, which creates the potential for significant data loss. When it comes to growing, managing, analyzing and protecting your company's data – your most valuable digital assets – hope is not a strategy, but a data transformation roadmap with defined steps is most definitely a step in the right direction."
Six Steps to Better Storage
- Components: You know you're stuck in the components stage if you're purchasing equipment in a reactive mode without being able to align those purchases to a business plan or outline how they fit into a cap-ex vs. op-ex financial model. If new storage needs seem to appear out of nowhere and you don't have a handle on the performance, availability and efficiency of your existing storage, you're ready for a change. To move beyond this stage, you need a virtualized environment where storage can be shared among users or departments, and you need the tools to identify the performance and remaining capacity available to be used.
- Storage Services: If you can't define your future storage needs and, when you try, management sees storage as under-used and overly expensive, you're headed toward a roadblock. Additionally, if your disaster recovery relies on backups, and if your team is putting too much effort into managing multiple storage platforms, you may be mired in the second stage of your data transformation journey. A common storage platform could help. And you definitely could benefit from advanced techniques that include automation and availability as well as a disaster recovery plan that takes you from restore to replication.
- File Services: In this stage, you may find that your servers are bulging with older files, but users have no incentive to clean them out, backups don't complete in a timely manner, and a full restore following a disaster seems insurmountable. To move ahead, start by establishing retention rules along with the tools to enforce them and archive older data. Also, by implementing a chargeback plan, you will encourage department heads to have staff clean out old files, freeing existing storage space.
- Information Services: Unexamined, unindexed, unstructured data can be both a liability and a lost opportunity. You may not know which files are useful or potentially damaging to the organization when the number of unstructured files grows too large. You need an indexing system that will allow you to find data when you need it, giving you fast, fingertip access to the information you need when you need it most.
- Knowledge Services: When different kinds of data are siloed – structured data in databases, semi-structured in email systems, and unstructured in file servers or content management systems, for example – confusion abounds. If you've realized that the validity of data from your systems is questionable and there's no process for updating systems periodically, reporting and visualization across systems becomes tough, if not impossible to accomplish. You need a solution that will help you validate, integrate and rationalize the different systems and tools that allow data to be accessed uniformly and reported easily.
- Emergent Services: Once you've reached this step, your storage systems are operating well overall. Storage is predictable and efficient. Both structured and unstructured data are usable and managed throughout their lifecycle. You may find that data analysis is a bit slower than you'd like, and unless analysts ask just the right questions, the data that comes back is not hitting the mark, leading to mismatches between the organization's perception and reality. You could benefit from a big data analytics solution that can yield immediate value for your organization based on its unique data crunching needs.
Want to Learn More?
- Data storage is more than a place to put things; find out what makes a storage strategy successful on this microsite: http://www.ict-log.us/vjpaK.
- How can knowing where a company is along its Data Transformation Journey jumpstart IT discussions and lead to higher value services at lower costs? Click here to find out: http://www.ict-log.us/uTXuf.
- Considering Disaster Recovery as a Service (DRaaS)? Read about eight must-haves for implementing DRaaS here: http://www.ict-log.us/uXFKb, then download a Logicalis white paper, "Advanced Technologies Make Thinking About Disaster Recovery a Lot Less Scary," here: http://www.ict-log.us/uXFPp.
Logicalis is an international IT solutions and managed services provider with a breadth of knowledge and expertise in communications and collaboration; data center and cloud services; and managed services.
Logicalis employs nearly 3,500 people worldwide, including highly trained service specialists who design, specify, deploy and manage complex ICT infrastructures to meet the needs of almost 6,000 corporate and public sector customers. To achieve this, Logicalis maintains strong partnerships with technology leaders such as Cisco, HP, IBM, CA Technologies, EMC, NetApp, Microsoft, VMware and ServiceNow.
The Logicalis Group has annualized revenues of approximately $1.5 billion from operations in Europe, North America, South America and Asia Pacific and is fast establishing itself as one of the leading IT and Communications solution integrators specializing in the areas of advanced technologies and services.
The Logicalis Group is a division of Datatec Limited, listed on the Johannesburg and London AIM Stock Exchanges, with revenues of over $5 billion.
For more information, visit www.us.logicalis.com.
Business and technology working as one
To learn more about Logicalis activities through a variety of social media outlets, click here.
SOURCE Logicalis US
In 2014, Amazon announced a new form of compute called Lambda. We didn't know it at the time, but this represented a fundamental shift in what we expect from cloud computing. Now, all of the major cloud computing vendors want to take part in this disruptive technology. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, John Jelinek IV, a web developer at Linux Academy, will discuss why major players like AWS, Microsoft Azure, IBM Bluemix, and Google Cloud Platform are all trying to sidestep VMs and containers...
Jan. 17, 2017 03:26 PM EST Reads: 190
SYS-CON Events announced today that Catchpoint, a leading digital experience intelligence company, has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Catchpoint Systems is a leading Digital Performance Analytics company that provides unparalleled insight into your customer-critical services to help you consistently deliver an amazing customer experience. Designed for digital business, C...
Jan. 17, 2017 02:30 PM EST Reads: 1,727
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Jan. 17, 2017 02:15 PM EST Reads: 3,622
In his General Session at 17th Cloud Expo, Bruce Swann, Senior Product Marketing Manager for Adobe Campaign, explored the key ingredients of cross-channel marketing in a digital world. Learn how the Adobe Marketing Cloud can help marketers embrace opportunities for personalized, relevant and real-time customer engagement across offline (direct mail, point of sale, call center) and digital (email, website, SMS, mobile apps, social networks, connected objects).
Jan. 17, 2017 02:00 PM EST Reads: 5,350
Things are changing so quickly in IoT that it would take a wizard to predict which ecosystem will gain the most traction. In order for IoT to reach its potential, smart devices must be able to work together. Today, there are a slew of interoperability standards being promoted by big names to make this happen: HomeKit, Brillo and Alljoyn. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Adam Justice, vice president and general manager of Grid Connect, will review what happens when smart devices don’t work togethe...
Jan. 17, 2017 01:45 PM EST Reads: 206
"There's a growing demand from users for things to be faster. When you think about all the transactions or interactions users will have with your product and everything that is between those transactions and interactions - what drives us at Catchpoint Systems is the idea to measure that and to analyze it," explained Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York Ci...
Jan. 17, 2017 12:45 PM EST Reads: 5,530
The 20th International Cloud Expo has announced that its Call for Papers is open. Cloud Expo, to be held June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, brings together Cloud Computing, Big Data, Internet of Things, DevOps, Containers, Microservices and WebRTC to one location. With cloud computing driving a higher percentage of enterprise IT budgets every year, it becomes increasingly important to plant your flag in this fast-expanding business opportunity. Submit your speaking proposal ...
Jan. 17, 2017 12:45 PM EST Reads: 5,047
"Tintri was started in 2008 with the express purpose of building a storage appliance that is ideal for virtualized environments. We support a lot of different hypervisor platforms from VMware to OpenStack to Hyper-V," explained Dan Florea, Director of Product Management at Tintri, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jan. 17, 2017 12:45 PM EST Reads: 4,423
20th Cloud Expo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. Cloud computing is now being embraced by a majority of enterprises of all sizes. Yesterday's debate about public vs. private has transformed into the reality of hybrid cloud: a recent survey shows that 74% of enterprises have a hybrid cloud strategy.
Jan. 17, 2017 11:45 AM EST Reads: 4,176
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and E...
Jan. 17, 2017 11:45 AM EST Reads: 5,704
SYS-CON Events announced today that Linux Academy, the foremost online Linux and cloud training platform and community, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Linux Academy was founded on the belief that providing high-quality, in-depth training should be available at an affordable price. Industry leaders in quality training, provided services, and student certification passes, its goal is to c...
Jan. 17, 2017 11:45 AM EST Reads: 1,903
IoT is at the core or many Digital Transformation initiatives with the goal of re-inventing a company's business model. We all agree that collecting relevant IoT data will result in massive amounts of data needing to be stored. However, with the rapid development of IoT devices and ongoing business model transformation, we are not able to predict the volume and growth of IoT data. And with the lack of IoT history, traditional methods of IT and infrastructure planning based on the past do not app...
Jan. 17, 2017 11:15 AM EST Reads: 518
Fact is, enterprises have significant legacy voice infrastructure that’s costly to replace with pure IP solutions. How can we bring this analog infrastructure into our shiny new cloud applications? There are proven methods to bind both legacy voice applications and traditional PSTN audio into cloud-based applications and services at a carrier scale. Some of the most successful implementations leverage WebRTC, WebSockets, SIP and other open source technologies. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Da...
Jan. 17, 2017 10:30 AM EST Reads: 2,738
In the next five to ten years, millions, if not billions of things will become smarter. This smartness goes beyond connected things in our homes like the fridge, thermostat and fancy lighting, and into heavily regulated industries including aerospace, pharmaceutical/medical devices and energy. “Smartness” will embed itself within individual products that are part of our daily lives. We will engage with smart products - learning from them, informing them, and communicating with them. Smart produc...
Jan. 17, 2017 10:30 AM EST Reads: 1,636
Why do your mobile transformations need to happen today? Mobile is the strategy that enterprise transformation centers on to drive customer engagement. In his general session at @ThingsExpo, Roger Woods, Director, Mobile Product & Strategy – Adobe Marketing Cloud, covered key IoT and mobile trends that are forcing mobile transformation, key components of a solid mobile strategy and explored how brands are effectively driving mobile change throughout the enterprise.
Jan. 17, 2017 10:00 AM EST Reads: 5,753
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, discussed the best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Jan. 17, 2017 08:00 AM EST Reads: 1,957
WebRTC sits at the intersection between VoIP and the Web. As such, it poses some interesting challenges for those developing services on top of it, but also for those who need to test and monitor these services. In his session at WebRTC Summit, Tsahi Levent-Levi, co-founder of testRTC, reviewed the various challenges posed by WebRTC when it comes to testing and monitoring and on ways to overcome them.
Jan. 17, 2017 07:45 AM EST Reads: 5,901
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Jan. 17, 2017 07:00 AM EST Reads: 6,775
The best-practices for building IoT applications with Go Code that attendees can use to build their own IoT applications. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Indraneel Mitra, Senior Solutions Architect & Technology Evangelist at Cognizant, provided valuable information and resources for both novice and experienced developers on how to get started with IoT and Golang in a day. He also provided information on how to use Intel Arduino Kit, Go Robotics API and AWS IoT stack to build an application tha...
Jan. 17, 2017 06:30 AM EST Reads: 3,778
Every successful software product evolves from an idea to an enterprise system. Notably, the same way is passed by the product owner's company. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Oleg Lola, CEO of MobiDev, will provide a generalized overview of the evolution of a software product, the product owner, the needs that arise at various stages of this process, and the value brought by a software development partner to the product owner as a response to these needs.
Jan. 17, 2017 06:00 AM EST Reads: 1,143