|By PR Newswire||
|April 8, 2014 10:37 AM EDT||
NEW YORK, April 8, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- With an unprecedented influx of corporate data that's getting larger by the minute, storage administrators are being challenged to just keep pace, much less maintain control. And there's no relief in sight: Analysts predict data production will be 44 times larger in 2020 than it was in 2009, yet even sophisticated IT departments are relying on decades-old data storage technologies and strategies. It's clear that something has to change, but a desire to avoid capital expenditures and an "if it's not broken, don't fix it" mindset have left CIOs and their battle-weary storage admins wondering where to begin. That's why Logicalis US, an international IT solutions and managed services provider (www.us.logicalis.com), has created a roadmap, the Data Transformation Journey, giving IT pros a six-step plan that takes them from treating storage as a cost to leveraging data as an asset, offering a springboard for discussion at each stage along the way.
"As the old adage says, 'failing to plan is planning to fail,'" warns Bob Hankins, Vice President, Data and Storage Solutions, Logicalis US. "Everyone from the C-suite down has heard about big data and what it can mean in terms of competitive advantage – and they want to tap into that. But when what you can collect is defined by the physical container size of your storage, and when you haven't implemented a plan that includes managed services like disaster recovery as a service or storage as a service, you're going to find your line-of-business managers going outside of IT to procure better storage solutions. The problem is, they can't protect the data or manage loss prevention the way IT can, which creates the potential for significant data loss. When it comes to growing, managing, analyzing and protecting your company's data – your most valuable digital assets – hope is not a strategy, but a data transformation roadmap with defined steps is most definitely a step in the right direction."
Six Steps to Better Storage
- Components: You know you're stuck in the components stage if you're purchasing equipment in a reactive mode without being able to align those purchases to a business plan or outline how they fit into a cap-ex vs. op-ex financial model. If new storage needs seem to appear out of nowhere and you don't have a handle on the performance, availability and efficiency of your existing storage, you're ready for a change. To move beyond this stage, you need a virtualized environment where storage can be shared among users or departments, and you need the tools to identify the performance and remaining capacity available to be used.
- Storage Services: If you can't define your future storage needs and, when you try, management sees storage as under-used and overly expensive, you're headed toward a roadblock. Additionally, if your disaster recovery relies on backups, and if your team is putting too much effort into managing multiple storage platforms, you may be mired in the second stage of your data transformation journey. A common storage platform could help. And you definitely could benefit from advanced techniques that include automation and availability as well as a disaster recovery plan that takes you from restore to replication.
- File Services: In this stage, you may find that your servers are bulging with older files, but users have no incentive to clean them out, backups don't complete in a timely manner, and a full restore following a disaster seems insurmountable. To move ahead, start by establishing retention rules along with the tools to enforce them and archive older data. Also, by implementing a chargeback plan, you will encourage department heads to have staff clean out old files, freeing existing storage space.
- Information Services: Unexamined, unindexed, unstructured data can be both a liability and a lost opportunity. You may not know which files are useful or potentially damaging to the organization when the number of unstructured files grows too large. You need an indexing system that will allow you to find data when you need it, giving you fast, fingertip access to the information you need when you need it most.
- Knowledge Services: When different kinds of data are siloed – structured data in databases, semi-structured in email systems, and unstructured in file servers or content management systems, for example – confusion abounds. If you've realized that the validity of data from your systems is questionable and there's no process for updating systems periodically, reporting and visualization across systems becomes tough, if not impossible to accomplish. You need a solution that will help you validate, integrate and rationalize the different systems and tools that allow data to be accessed uniformly and reported easily.
- Emergent Services: Once you've reached this step, your storage systems are operating well overall. Storage is predictable and efficient. Both structured and unstructured data are usable and managed throughout their lifecycle. You may find that data analysis is a bit slower than you'd like, and unless analysts ask just the right questions, the data that comes back is not hitting the mark, leading to mismatches between the organization's perception and reality. You could benefit from a big data analytics solution that can yield immediate value for your organization based on its unique data crunching needs.
Want to Learn More?
- Data storage is more than a place to put things; find out what makes a storage strategy successful on this microsite: http://www.ict-log.us/vjpaK.
- How can knowing where a company is along its Data Transformation Journey jumpstart IT discussions and lead to higher value services at lower costs? Click here to find out: http://www.ict-log.us/uTXuf.
- Considering Disaster Recovery as a Service (DRaaS)? Read about eight must-haves for implementing DRaaS here: http://www.ict-log.us/uXFKb, then download a Logicalis white paper, "Advanced Technologies Make Thinking About Disaster Recovery a Lot Less Scary," here: http://www.ict-log.us/uXFPp.
Logicalis is an international IT solutions and managed services provider with a breadth of knowledge and expertise in communications and collaboration; data center and cloud services; and managed services.
Logicalis employs nearly 3,500 people worldwide, including highly trained service specialists who design, specify, deploy and manage complex ICT infrastructures to meet the needs of almost 6,000 corporate and public sector customers. To achieve this, Logicalis maintains strong partnerships with technology leaders such as Cisco, HP, IBM, CA Technologies, EMC, NetApp, Microsoft, VMware and ServiceNow.
The Logicalis Group has annualized revenues of approximately $1.5 billion from operations in Europe, North America, South America and Asia Pacific and is fast establishing itself as one of the leading IT and Communications solution integrators specializing in the areas of advanced technologies and services.
The Logicalis Group is a division of Datatec Limited, listed on the Johannesburg and London AIM Stock Exchanges, with revenues of over $5 billion.
For more information, visit www.us.logicalis.com.
Business and technology working as one
To learn more about Logicalis activities through a variety of social media outlets, click here.
SOURCE Logicalis US
We are reaching the end of the beginning with WebRTC, and real systems using this technology have begun to appear. One challenge that faces every WebRTC deployment (in some form or another) is identity management. For example, if you have an existing service – possibly built on a variety of different PaaS/SaaS offerings – and you want to add real-time communications you are faced with a challenge relating to user management, authentication, authorization, and validation. Service providers will w...
Oct. 25, 2016 05:30 AM EDT Reads: 3,368
DevOps is being widely accepted (if not fully adopted) as essential in enterprise IT. But as Enterprise DevOps gains maturity, expands scope, and increases velocity, the need for data-driven decisions across teams becomes more acute. DevOps teams in any modern business must wrangle the ‘digital exhaust’ from the delivery toolchain, "pervasive" and "cognitive" computing, APIs and services, mobile devices and applications, the Internet of Things, and now even blockchain. In this power panel at @...
Oct. 25, 2016 05:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,992
SYS-CON Media announced today that @WebRTCSummit Blog, the largest WebRTC resource in the world, has been launched. @WebRTCSummit Blog offers top articles, news stories, and blog posts from the world's well-known experts and guarantees better exposure for its authors than any other publication. @WebRTCSummit Blog can be bookmarked ▸ Here @WebRTCSummit conference site can be bookmarked ▸ Here
Oct. 25, 2016 04:30 AM EDT Reads: 9,701
One of biggest questions about Big Data is “How do we harness all that information for business use quickly and effectively?” Geographic Information Systems (GIS) or spatial technology is about more than making maps, but adding critical context and meaning to data of all types, coming from all different channels – even sensors. In his session at @ThingsExpo, William (Bill) Meehan, director of utility solutions for Esri, will take a closer look at the current state of spatial technology and ar...
Oct. 25, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,738
SYS-CON Events announced today that Streamlyzer will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Streamlyzer is a powerful analytics for video streaming service that enables video streaming providers to monitor and analyze QoE (Quality-of-Experience) from end-user devices in real time.
Oct. 25, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,008
You have great SaaS business app ideas. You want to turn your idea quickly into a functional and engaging proof of concept. You need to be able to modify it to meet customers' needs, and you need to deliver a complete and secure SaaS application. How could you achieve all the above and yet avoid unforeseen IT requirements that add unnecessary cost and complexity? You also want your app to be responsive in any device at any time. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Mark Allen, General Manager of...
Oct. 25, 2016 04:15 AM EDT Reads: 947
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftNet Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. SoftNet Solutions specializes in Enterprise Solutions for Hadoop and Big Data. It offers customers the most open, robust, and value-conscious portfolio of solutions, services, and tools for the shortest route to success with Big Data. The unique differentiator is the ability to architect and ...
Oct. 25, 2016 04:00 AM EDT Reads: 962
The IoT industry is now at a crossroads, between the fast-paced innovation of technologies and the pending mass adoption by global enterprises. The complexity of combining rapidly evolving technologies and the need to establish practices for market acceleration pose a strong challenge to global enterprises as well as IoT vendors. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Clark Smith, senior product manager for Numerex, will discuss how Numerex, as an experienced, established IoT provider, has embraced a ...
Oct. 25, 2016 03:45 AM EDT Reads: 1,123
Cloud based infrastructure deployment is becoming more and more appealing to customers, from Fortune 500 companies to SMEs due to its pay-as-you-go model. Enterprise storage vendors are able to reach out to these customers by integrating in cloud based deployments; this needs adaptability and interoperability of the products confirming to cloud standards such as OpenStack, CloudStack, or Azure. As compared to off the shelf commodity storage, enterprise storages by its reliability, high-availabil...
Oct. 25, 2016 03:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,154
Donna Yasay, President of HomeGrid Forum, today discussed with a panel of technology peers how certification programs are at the forefront of interoperability, and the answer for vendors looking to keep up with today's growing industry for smart home innovation. "To ensure multi-vendor interoperability, accredited industry certification programs should be used for every product to provide credibility and quality assurance for retail and carrier based customers looking to add ever increasing num...
Oct. 25, 2016 02:00 AM EDT Reads: 611
In the next forty months – just over three years – businesses will undergo extraordinary changes. The exponential growth of digitization and machine learning will see a step function change in how businesses create value, satisfy customers, and outperform their competition. In the next forty months companies will take the actions that will see them get to the next level of the game called Capitalism. Or they won’t – game over. The winners of today and tomorrow think differently, follow different...
Oct. 25, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,024
“Media Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. CloudBerry Backup is a leading cross-platform cloud backup and disaster recovery solution integrated with major public cloud services, such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform.
Oct. 25, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,411
SYS-CON Events announced today that Super Micro Computer, Inc., a global leader in Embedded and IoT solutions, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place on June 7-9, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY. Supermicro (NASDAQ: SMCI), the leading innovator in high-performance, high-efficiency server technology, is a premier provider of advanced server Building Block Solutions® for Data Center, Cloud Computing, Enterprise IT, Hadoop/Big Data, HPC and ...
Oct. 25, 2016 01:15 AM EDT Reads: 3,615
Web Real-Time Communication APIs have quickly revolutionized what browsers are capable of. In addition to video and audio streams, we can now bi-directionally send arbitrary data over WebRTC's PeerConnection Data Channels. With the advent of Progressive Web Apps and new hardware APIs such as WebBluetooh and WebUSB, we can finally enable users to stitch together the Internet of Things directly from their browsers while communicating privately and securely in a decentralized way.
Oct. 25, 2016 12:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,859
For basic one-to-one voice or video calling solutions, WebRTC has proven to be a very powerful technology. Although WebRTC’s core functionality is to provide secure, real-time p2p media streaming, leveraging native platform features and server-side components brings up new communication capabilities for web and native mobile applications, allowing for advanced multi-user use cases such as video broadcasting, conferencing, and media recording.
Oct. 25, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 4,185
SYS-CON Events announced today that LeaseWeb USA, a cloud Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) provider, will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. LeaseWeb is one of the world's largest hosting brands. The company helps customers define, develop and deploy IT infrastructure tailored to their exact business needs, by combining various kinds cloud solutions.
Oct. 24, 2016 11:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,857
SYS-CON Events announced today that Hitrons Solutions will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Hitrons Solutions Inc. is distributor in the North American market for unique products and services of small and medium-size businesses, including cloud services and solutions, SEO marketing platforms, and mobile applications.
Oct. 24, 2016 11:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,022
Successful digital transformation requires new organizational competencies and capabilities. Research tells us that the biggest impediment to successful transformation is human; consequently, the biggest enabler is a properly skilled and empowered workforce. In the digital age, new individual and collective competencies are required. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bob Newhouse, CEO and founder of Agilitiv, will draw together recent research and lessons learned from emerging and established ...
Oct. 24, 2016 09:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,387
November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Penta Security is a leading vendor for data security solutions, including its encryption solution, D’Amo. By using FPE technology, D’Amo allows for the implementation of encryption technology to sensitive data fields without modification to schema in the database environment. With businesses having their data become increasingly more complicated in their mission-critical applications (such as ERP, CRM, HRM), continued ...
Oct. 24, 2016 08:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,051
SYS-CON Events announced today that Enzu will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Enzu’s mission is to be the leading provider of enterprise cloud solutions worldwide. Enzu enables online businesses to use its IT infrastructure to their competitive advantage. By offering a suite of proven hosting and management services, Enzu wants companies to focus on the core of their online busine...
Oct. 24, 2016 08:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,351