|By Business Wire||
|June 30, 2014 12:22 PM EDT||
SimpliVity, the leader in hyperconverged infrastructure for the software-defined data center, today announced several additions to its rapidly expanding customer roster, including: City of Arvada, Colorado; City of Brighton, Colorado; City of Mesquite, Nevada; City of O’Fallon, Missouri; Town of Newington, Connecticut; and the Worcester County Sheriff’s Office in Massachusetts. These public sector organizations selected SimpliVity to simplify data center infrastructure and drive higher efficiency, while dramatically reducing costs.
State and local government finances continue to improve; however, these agencies must maintain service levels and innovate to serve their constituents in a cost-efficient way. As state and local municipalities modernize their IT infrastructure, many are turning to SimpliVity to replace their legacy stack of servers, storage switches, enterprise HDD and SSD storage, backup solutions and WAN optimization that have failed to meet their current needs.
SimpliVity OmniCube collapses legacy stacks and functionality into hyperconverged x86 building blocks. Deploying a network of two or more OmniCubes creates a global federation that facilitates efficient data movement, resource sharing and scalability. Integrated data protection and unified global management within and across sites drive greater operational efficiency. Further, OmniCube’s data architecture optimizes performance and capacity, and provides VM-centric management and mobility—all contributing to a radical reduction in complexity and cost.
City of Arvada, Colorado
- Situation: The city had its legacy infrastructure in place for more than six years. The environment was more complex and administrators spent more time attending to the Fibre Channel SAN.
- Solution: OmniCube federation in two data centers to accommodate 59 applications running simultaneously.
- Benefits: City of Arvada saw improved performance of critical applications, improved disaster recovery testing and strategy and a reduced data center footprint for energy efficiency.
- Quote: “Last year, the City of Arvada began looking for a new server and storage platform to re-home its police management system, and got bids for converged infrastructure offerings from hyperconverged startups Nutanix and SimpliVity as well as IBM, Hitachi, HP, Cisco and VCE V Block,” said Ron Czarnecki, CIO for City of Arvada. "SimpliVity turned out to be significantly different from all the others, and SimpliVity offers benefits like built-in deduplication, compression and replication, plus an all-inclusive pricing model.”
City of Brighton, Colorado
- Situation: Brighton is a Home Rule Municipality in Adams County, Colorado, with a population of more than 30,000. The City of Brighton required a refresh of its aging IT infrastructure that was experiencing performance issues, approaching capacity on its SAN and delivering poor recovery point and recovery time objectives with its incumbent backup solution.
- Solution: A three-node OmniCube federation running 50+ applications simultaneously.
- Benefits: After implementing SimpliVity hyperconverged infrastructure for its 14 TB of production data, Brighton was able to non-disruptively migrate its VMs and data within one week. The city immediately achieved a 36 percent capacity reduction and a 97 percent performance improvement. Brighton also improved recovery objectives: backing up full VMs every two hours, while saving 3.3PB of space.
- Quote: Jeromy King, assistant director of IT stated, “We believed that moving forward with a modern hyperconverged infrastructure solution was the right choice versus just adding more disk and not solving the true IT issue. And we received a big bonus in the native VM-level data protection in OmniCube. Now, we are in a much better position to add disaster recovery capabilities to our environment and deliver the service that we need to our customers.”
City of Mesquite, Colorado
- Situation: The city of Mesquite, Nevada is 80 miles northeast of Las Vegas and has a population of more than 15,000. The organization initially sought to do a capacity upgrade on the existing storage supporting its virtual workloads, which was approaching full capacity and nearing its refresh date.
- Solution: The municipality replaced most of its legacy infrastructure with a federation of two OmniCubes in the primary data center hosting 40+ applications, and one in its second site for disaster recovery.
- Benefits: The city of Mesquite realized value within one week with a performance improvement of up to 25 percent and a 50:1 capacity savings.
- Quote: “SimpliVity’s OmniCube is one of the most cost effective systems we have found since implementing VMware. There is more functionality in a single box than many solutions put in a complete rack,” said Dirk Marshall, IT manager at the City of Mesquite, Nevada.
City of O’Fallon, Missouri
- Situation: O’Fallon is a city in Saint Charles County, Missouri, with a population of more than 80,000. O’Fallon found the number of vendors it had to manage to be a burden, and the city also desired improvements in backup and disaster recovery.
- Solution: A federation of two OmniCubes in the primary data center and one in its second site for disaster recovery.
- Benefits: The city of O’Fallon saw rapid value with performance improvements of 50 to 75 percent and capacity savings of up to 100:1. It also realized deployment agility. SimpliVity enables workload deployment within one day versus deployment times of up to one week before SimpliVity.
- Quote: “We are very pleased about how well SimpliVity integrated into our vCenter, as well as with the compression ratio of our virtual machines stored on OmniCube,” said Jim Woerther, IT administrator, City of O’Fallon.
Town of Newington, Connecticut
- Situation: The Town of Newington, located just south of Hartford, Connecticut, provides 24/7/365 services for 21 different departments, including public safety. Legacy infrastructure consisted of six servers and six iSCSI SANs across two data centers. The town initially pursued upgrading its infrastructure with existing vendors.
- Solution: OmniCube federations in two data centers.
- Benefits: The town realized value within the first week, reducing its data center footprint, achieving greater data efficiency, improving performance and introducing massive savings in storage and capital.
- Quote: “One of the nice things we really liked about the SimpliVity solution was that all administration is done within VMware’s vCenter. The plug-in allowed us to not only view performance for each data center, but also allow us to view performance per virtual machine – a very nice, slick and clean interface,” said Paul G. Boutot, CIO for the Town of Newington.
Worcester County Sheriff’s Office, Massachusetts
- Situation: Worcester County Sheriff’s Department serves one of the largest counties in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, and supports just over 500 staff and mission-critical applications, including Public Safety Jail Management Software. The legacy infrastructure comprised of 16 servers and multiple complex SANs, could not keep pace with demand or staffing resources.
- Solution: A federation of two OmniCubes in the primary data center running more than 40 applications, and one in its second site for disaster recovery.
- Benefits: The office improved overall capacity of user-heavy applications and allowed for improved speed and availability, while increasing productivity for staff.
- Quote: “We were really pleased with the improvements in backup and disaster recovery enabled by OmniCube’s integrated data protection. Our recovery time and recovery point objectives were reduced to minutes from hours to days for all applications, regardless of size. Now, I have peace of mind,” stated Maurice Myrie, CIO for the Worcester County Sheriff’s Office.
"We’re very pleased with our rapid customer expansion, and thrilled to see the results our customers are realizing using our data virtualization platform,” said Doron Kempel, chairman and CEO of SimpliVity. “Our proven ability to drive efficiency while drastically reducing data center complexity and costs is contributing to our rapid growth and our leadership position in the hyperconverged infrastructure market.”.
About SimpliVity Corporation
SimpliVity's revolutionary Data Virtualization Platform delivered on hyperconverged infrastructure is the first and only technology that comprehensively —and simply—addresses the performance and capacity challenges in today’s software-defined data centers. Ensuring performance, capacity, mobility, manageability and protection of data without driving up CAPEX and OPEX requires a new data architecture delivered on commodity x86 building blocks. SimpliVity takes a VM-centric approach, ensures adequate IOPS to fuel application requirements and drives dramatic efficiency resulting in a 300 percent TCO savings. Launched in 2013, SimpliVity is used by hundreds of enterprises and service providers worldwide, including Dairylea, T-Systems, University of Alberta School of Business and Wausau Coated. Headquartered in Massachusetts, SimpliVity's business model is 100 percent indirect, and its solutions and professional services are available through its network of worldwide resellers and distributors. For more information, contact us at +1 508-310-1032, firstname.lastname@example.org or http://www.simplivity.com.
All trademarks and registered trademarks mentioned herein belong to their respective owners.
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Sep. 26, 2016 01:15 PM EDT Reads: 3,277
The many IoT deployments around the world are busy integrating smart devices and sensors into their enterprise IT infrastructures. Yet all of this technology – and there are an amazing number of choices – is of no use without the software to gather, communicate, and analyze the new data flows. Without software, there is no IT. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, panelists will look at the protocols that communicate data and the emerging data analy...
Sep. 26, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,603
Fifty billion connected devices and still no winning protocols standards. HTTP, WebSockets, MQTT, and CoAP seem to be leading in the IoT protocol race at the moment but many more protocols are getting introduced on a regular basis. Each protocol has its pros and cons depending on the nature of the communications. Does there really need to be only one protocol to rule them all? Of course not. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Chris Matthieu, co-founder and CTO of Octoblu, walk you through how Oct...
Sep. 26, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 2,029
DevOps at Cloud Expo, taking place Nov 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA, is co-located with 19th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry players in the world. The widespread success of cloud computing is driving the DevOps revolution in enterprise IT. Now as never before, development teams must communicate and collaborate in a dynamic, 24/7/365 environment. There is no time to wait for long dev...
Sep. 26, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 3,408
SYS-CON Events announced today that China Unicom will exhibit at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. China United Network Communications Group Co. Ltd ("China Unicom") was officially established in 2009 on the basis of the merger of former China Netcom and former China Unicom. China Unicom mainly operates a full range of telecommunications services including mobile broadband (GSM, WCDMA, LTE F...
Sep. 26, 2016 12:45 PM EDT Reads: 1,729
Data is an unusual currency; it is not restricted by the same transactional limitations as money or people. In fact, the more that you leverage your data across multiple business use cases, the more valuable it becomes to the organization. And the same can be said about the organization’s analytics. In his session at 19th Cloud Expo, Bill Schmarzo, CTO for the Big Data Practice at EMC, will introduce a methodology for capturing, enriching and sharing data (and analytics) across the organizati...
Sep. 26, 2016 12:15 PM EDT Reads: 1,664
SYS-CON Events announced today that ReadyTalk, a leading provider of online conferencing and webinar services, has been named Vendor Presentation Sponsor at the 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. ReadyTalk delivers audio and web conferencing services that inspire collaboration and enable the Future of Work for today’s increasingly digital and mobile workforce. By combining intuitive, innovative tec...
Sep. 26, 2016 12:00 PM EDT Reads: 2,783
The Transparent Cloud-computing Consortium (abbreviation: T-Cloud Consortium) will conduct research activities into changes in the computing model as a result of collaboration between "device" and "cloud" and the creation of new value and markets through organic data processing High speed and high quality networks, and dramatic improvements in computer processing capabilities, have greatly changed the nature of applications and made the storing and processing of data on the network commonplace.
Sep. 26, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 991
SYS-CON Events announced today that Commvault, a global leader in enterprise data protection and information management, has been named “Bronze Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 19th International Cloud Expo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Commvault is a leading provider of data protection and information management solutions, helping companies worldwide activate their data to drive more value and business insight and to transform moder...
Sep. 26, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,571
There is little doubt that Big Data solutions will have an increasing role in the Enterprise IT mainstream over time. Big Data at Cloud Expo - to be held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA - has announced its Call for Papers is open. Cloud computing is being adopted in one form or another by 94% of enterprises today. Tens of billions of new devices are being connected to The Internet of Things. And Big Data is driving this bus. An exponential increase is...
Sep. 26, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 2,537
SYS-CON Events announced today the Enterprise IoT Bootcamp, being held November 1-2, 2016, in conjunction with 19th Cloud Expo | @ThingsExpo at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. Combined with real-world scenarios and use cases, the Enterprise IoT Bootcamp is not just based on presentations but with hands-on demos and detailed walkthroughs. We will introduce you to a variety of real world use cases prototyped using Arduino, Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone, Spark, and Intel Edison. Y...
Sep. 26, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,865
Major trends and emerging technologies – from virtual reality and IoT, to Big Data and algorithms – are helping organizations innovate in the digital era. However, to create real business value, IT must think beyond the ‘what’ of digital transformation to the ‘how’ to harness emerging trends, innovation and disruption. Architecture is the key that underpins and ties all these efforts together. In the digital age, it’s important to invest in architecture, extend the enterprise footprint to the cl...
Sep. 26, 2016 11:06 AM EDT Reads: 156
Video experiences should be unique and exciting! But that doesn’t mean you need to patch all the pieces yourself. Users demand rich and engaging experiences and new ways to connect with you. But creating robust video applications at scale can be complicated, time-consuming and expensive. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Zohar Babin, Vice President of Platform, Ecosystem and Community at Kaltura, will discuss how VPaaS enables you to move fast, creating scalable video experiences that reach your...
Sep. 26, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 989
SYS-CON Events announced today that SoftLayer, an IBM Company, has been named “Gold Sponsor” of SYS-CON's 18th Cloud Expo, which will take place on June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York, New York. SoftLayer, an IBM Company, provides cloud infrastructure as a service from a growing number of data centers and network points of presence around the world. SoftLayer’s customers range from Web startups to global enterprises.
Sep. 26, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 893
Big Data has been changing the world. IoT fuels the further transformation recently. How are Big Data and IoT related? In his session at @BigDataExpo, Tony Shan, a renowned visionary and thought leader, will explore the interplay of Big Data and IoT. He will anatomize Big Data and IoT separately in terms of what, which, why, where, when, who, how and how much. He will then analyze the relationship between IoT and Big Data, specifically the drilldown of how the 4Vs of Big Data (Volume, Variety,...
Sep. 26, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,003
SYS-CON Events announced today that Bsquare has been named “Silver Sponsor” of SYS-CON's @ThingsExpo, which will take place on November 1–3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. For more than two decades, Bsquare has helped its customers extract business value from a broad array of physical assets by making them intelligent, connecting them, and using the data they generate to optimize business processes.
Sep. 26, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 2,688
Cognitive Computing is becoming the foundation for a new generation of solutions that have the potential to transform business. Unlike traditional approaches to building solutions, a cognitive computing approach allows the data to help determine the way applications are designed. This contrasts with conventional software development that begins with defining logic based on the current way a business operates. In her session at 18th Cloud Expo, Judith S. Hurwitz, President and CEO of Hurwitz & ...
Sep. 26, 2016 09:45 AM EDT Reads: 2,864
WebRTC adoption has generated a wave of creative uses of communications and collaboration through websites, sales apps, customer care and business applications. As WebRTC has become more mainstream it has evolved to use cases beyond the original peer-to-peer case, which has led to a repeating requirement for interoperability with existing infrastructures. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Graham Holt, Executive Vice President of Daitan Group, will cover implementation examples that have enabled ea...
Sep. 26, 2016 09:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,529
The vision of a connected smart home is becoming reality with the application of integrated wireless technologies in devices and appliances. The use of standardized and TCP/IP networked wireless technologies in line-powered and battery operated sensors and controls has led to the adoption of radios in the 2.4GHz band, including Wi-Fi, BT/BLE and 802.15.4 applied ZigBee and Thread. This is driving the need for robust wireless coexistence for multiple radios to ensure throughput performance and th...
Sep. 26, 2016 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,545
Vidyo, Inc., has joined the Alliance for Open Media. The Alliance for Open Media is a non-profit organization working to define and develop media technologies that address the need for an open standard for video compression and delivery over the web. As a member of the Alliance, Vidyo will collaborate with industry leaders in pursuit of an open and royalty-free AOMedia Video codec, AV1. Vidyo’s contributions to the organization will bring to bear its long history of expertise in codec technolo...
Sep. 26, 2016 08:15 AM EDT Reads: 2,505