|By Marketwired .||
|July 22, 2014 09:04 AM EDT||
SAN FRANCISCO, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 07/22/14 --
- "Application Intelligence" - Significant Platform and Category Expansion Beyond Application Performance Management (APM)
- Company Continues Hyper-Growth Worldwide With Triple Digit Annual Growth
AppDynamics, the leader in Application Intelligence, today announced it has secured $120 million in growth financing led by new investors Battery Ventures, ClearBridge Investments and Sands Capital. All four existing investors Greylock Partners, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, and Institutional Venture Partners, also participated in the round. The $120 million includes $50 million in debt financing provided by Silicon Valley Bank.
The new financing brings the total capital raised by AppDynamics to over $200 million and will fund the company's continued expansion of its Application Intelligence Platform into the IT Operations and Business Analytics markets, and also accelerate go-to-market investments worldwide.
"Application Intelligence is rapidly becoming the foundational management platform for modern enterprises that are going through a digital transformation. It has the opportunity to reshape not only the $4 to $5 billion per year Application Performance Management market, but the broader $20 billion per year IT Operations Management(1) and $34 billion per year Operations and Business Analytics markets(2)," said Jyoti Bansal, founder and CEO at AppDynamics. "This additional financing is great validation of the market category, our strong execution in leading the category and above all the quality of the AppDynamics team across all functions. This financing will help fuel our continued rapid pace of technology innovation, and expansion of our worldwide sales and go-to-market execution."
"Given the massive, secular shifts in today's technology markets toward cloud, mobile and service-oriented apps, I think AppDynamics has a great opportunity to own the next generation of Operations and Application Management," said Neeraj Agrawal, a general partner at Battery Ventures. "I have known Jyoti for years, and during that time he has shown great vision and consistently exceeded his business goals. Battery is extremely excited to partner with AppDynamics."
AppDynamics Market and Vision:
- "Software is Eating the World": Modern enterprises are going through a huge digital transformation from Systems-of-Record to Systems-of-Engagement -- where software applications not only support the back-office of the enterprise, but are forming the core of customer engagement. Software applications are allowing enterprises to completely optimize their consumer interactions and innovate on consumer experience at a level never seen before.
- The architectural shift to Cloud, Mobile and DevOps: To enable this rapid digital transformation, technology architectures are going through a generational shift to Cloud Computing, Mobile and broad adoption of agile and DevOps operational practices. The older technology architectures and vendors supplying solutions for these architectures are rapidly becoming obsolete.
- Market shift away from legacy vendors: Legacy vendors in the $20 billion per year IT Operations Management space like CA Technologies, HP, BMC, Compuware have not been able to innovate as IT applications shift to a new architecture and enterprises go through their digital transformation. Newer companies such as AppDynamics are leading the charge and have emerged as rapidly growing category leaders.
- The emergence of a new category "Application Intelligence": The new approach to managing IT is "application-centric" instead of "infrastructure-centric." All aspects of the IT Operations Management market are being redefined by applications, user experience and the business transactions they support. AppDynamics is leading the emergence of the new market category "Application Intelligence" where the core mission is to provide an integrated platform for Developers, Operations and the Business to maximize business performance delivered by software application investments. This encompasses performance monitoring, user experience monitoring, infrastructure monitoring, deployment automation, automatic remediation, and operational analytics, combined with seamless business intelligence to tie IT with Business.
- Disruption in Go-to-market models: The legacy go-to-market model of complex, slow to configure and deploy software with heavy Professional Services requirements is no longer fit for purpose. The new enterprise consumers are demanding easy-to-use products, try-before-you-buy and pay-as-you-go. AppDynamics unique go-to-market strategy of providing hybrid SaaS/on-premise deployments, easy to deploy freemium offerings, and a land-and-expand sales model is aligned with the new buying patterns in the enterprise.
AppDynamics Execution Highlights:
- Rapid growth: AppDynamics is one of the fastest-growing technology companies worldwide. The company grew more than 175 percent in its fiscal year 2014, which concluded on January 31, 2014. It currently has over 1,300 customers and has doubled its customer base every year for the last three years. Customers include some of the largest banks, largest retail companies and the largest SaaS providers globally. In the last 18 months the number of employees grew from 200 to over 450 based in over 12 countries including the US, UK, France, Germany, India, Japan, Australia and Singapore.
- Market leader recognition: In Gartner Inc.'s latest "Magic Quadrant for Application Performance Management" report, AppDynamics has been positioned in the Leader's quadrant for the second year in a row. For a complimentary copy of the report, visit www.appdynamics.com/gartner.
- Exceptional Customer Success & Loyalty: The company's latest Net Promoter Score (a single measure of customer loyalty) is at a world class 85, demonstrating the long-term nature of our customer relationships. The company's NPS is among the highest in the enterprise software industry.
- Great Place to Work: AppDynamics is widely recognized for its innovative and employee-friendly culture. In 2013, Forbes recognized AppDynamics as the best Cloud Computing Company to work for, and it's CEO Jyoti Bansalas the number one Cloud Computing CEO to work for. In 2014, AppDynamics was recognized by Glassdoor as one of the Best Medium-Sized Companies to Work For in its Employee's Choice Awards. In May 2014, its CEO Jyoti Bansalwas recognized as Best CEO in San Francisco Business Times Tech & Innovation Awards and named a finalist in the prestigious EY Entrepreneur of the Year awards.
- Rapid Innovation: With its latest platform release in March 2014, the company's Application Intelligence Platform provides the broadest and deepest visibility and management of software applications leveraging JAVA, .Net, node.js, PHP, NoSQL, SQL, Native Mobile and browser-based apps, NetApp Storage, IBM DataPower, Tibco, MongoDB and through its open platform APIs over 100 critical enterprise technologies such as Microsoft Azure, AWS, Pivotal, F5 and Hadoop. AppDynamics, unique among its competitors, offers SaaS, on-premise and private cloud deployment alternatives to its customers. These are available in a fully self-service try-and-buy freemium 'free-forever' edition or commercial Pro Edition.
- Platform Expansion: In March, AppDynamics announced beta availability of its analytics solution, 'Application Analytics.' This builds on the company's already market-leading Operational Analytics and Real-Time Business Metrics solution. General availability of 'Application Analytics' is targeted for later in 2014.
At AppDynamics, our Application Intelligence Platform helps today's software-defined businesses proactively monitor, manage and optimize the most complex software environments. All in real time, and all in production. With cloud and on-premise deployment flexibility, AppDynamics works and partners with many of the world's most innovative companies. Customers include Citrix, Edmunds, Expedia, Fox News, John Deere, OpenTable, Salesforce.com, Sephora, StubHub and Union Pacific Railroad. AppDynamics premier event for today's software-defined business AppSphere 2014, takes place November 3-5 in Las Vegas. For more information, visit www.appdynamics.com.
(1) Gartner, Market Share Analysis: IT Operations Management Software, Worldwide, 2013, Laurie F. Wurster, Federico De Silva, John Rizzuto, Matthew Cheung, David M. Coyle and Ronni J. Colville, May 30, 2014
(2) IDC, Worldwide Business Analytics Software 2013-2017 Forecast and 2012 Vendor Shares (IDC #241689), Dan Vesset, Brian McDonough, David Schubmehl and Mary Wardley, June 2013
The emerging Internet of Everything creates tremendous new opportunities for customer engagement and business model innovation. However, enterprises must overcome a number of critical challenges to bring these new solutions to market. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Michael Martin, CTO/CIO at nfrastructure, outlined these key challenges and recommended approaches for overcoming them to achieve speed and agility in the design, development and implementation of Internet of Everything solutions with...
Jan. 21, 2017 10:00 AM EST Reads: 5,652
Every successful software product evolves from an idea to an enterprise system. Notably, the same way is passed by the product owner's company. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, Oleg Lola, CEO of MobiDev, will provide a generalized overview of the evolution of a software product, the product owner, the needs that arise at various stages of this process, and the value brought by a software development partner to the product owner as a response to these needs.
Jan. 21, 2017 07:30 AM EST Reads: 1,298
In 2014, Amazon announced a new form of compute called Lambda. We didn't know it at the time, but this represented a fundamental shift in what we expect from cloud computing. Now, all of the major cloud computing vendors want to take part in this disruptive technology. In his session at 20th Cloud Expo, John Jelinek IV, a web developer at Linux Academy, will discuss why major players like AWS, Microsoft Azure, IBM Bluemix, and Google Cloud Platform are all trying to sidestep VMs and containers...
Jan. 21, 2017 07:15 AM EST Reads: 931
SYS-CON Events announced today that MobiDev, a client-oriented software development company, will exhibit at SYS-CON's 20th International Cloud Expo®, which will take place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY, and the 21st International Cloud Expo®, which will take place October 31-November 2, 2017, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. MobiDev is a software company that develops and delivers turn-key mobile apps, websites, web services, and complex softw...
Jan. 21, 2017 06:45 AM EST Reads: 1,946
Smart Cities are here to stay, but for their promise to be delivered, the data they produce must not be put in new siloes. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mathias Herberts, Co-founder and CTO of Cityzen Data, discussed the best practices that will ensure a successful smart city journey.
Jan. 21, 2017 06:00 AM EST Reads: 2,079
Technology vendors and analysts are eager to paint a rosy picture of how wonderful IoT is and why your deployment will be great with the use of their products and services. While it is easy to showcase successful IoT solutions, identifying IoT systems that missed the mark or failed can often provide more in the way of key lessons learned. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Peter Vanderminden, Principal Industry Analyst for IoT & Digital Supply Chain to Flatiron Strategies, will focus on how IoT depl...
Jan. 21, 2017 03:45 AM EST Reads: 1,988
Big Data, cloud, analytics, contextual information, wearable tech, sensors, mobility, and WebRTC: together, these advances have created a perfect storm of technologies that are disrupting and transforming classic communications models and ecosystems. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Erik Perotti, Senior Manager of New Ventures on Plantronics’ Innovation team, provided an overview of this technological shift, including associated business and consumer communications impacts, and opportunities it m...
Jan. 21, 2017 02:00 AM EST Reads: 5,826
Manufacturers are embracing the Industrial Internet the same way consumers are leveraging Fitbits – to improve overall health and wellness. Both can provide consistent measurement, visibility, and suggest performance improvements customized to help reach goals. Fitbit users can view real-time data and make adjustments to increase their activity. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Mark Bernardo Professional Services Leader, Americas, at GE Digital, discussed how leveraging the Industrial Internet and...
Jan. 21, 2017 01:30 AM EST Reads: 6,568
"Tintri was started in 2008 with the express purpose of building a storage appliance that is ideal for virtualized environments. We support a lot of different hypervisor platforms from VMware to OpenStack to Hyper-V," explained Dan Florea, Director of Product Management at Tintri, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jan. 21, 2017 01:15 AM EST Reads: 4,917
There will be new vendors providing applications, middleware, and connected devices to support the thriving IoT ecosystem. This essentially means that electronic device manufacturers will also be in the software business. Many will be new to building embedded software or robust software. This creates an increased importance on software quality, particularly within the Industrial Internet of Things where business-critical applications are becoming dependent on products controlled by software. Qua...
Jan. 21, 2017 01:15 AM EST Reads: 5,060
Fact is, enterprises have significant legacy voice infrastructure that’s costly to replace with pure IP solutions. How can we bring this analog infrastructure into our shiny new cloud applications? There are proven methods to bind both legacy voice applications and traditional PSTN audio into cloud-based applications and services at a carrier scale. Some of the most successful implementations leverage WebRTC, WebSockets, SIP and other open source technologies. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Da...
Jan. 21, 2017 01:15 AM EST Reads: 2,892
A critical component of any IoT project is what to do with all the data being generated. This data needs to be captured, processed, structured, and stored in a way to facilitate different kinds of queries. Traditional data warehouse and analytical systems are mature technologies that can be used to handle certain kinds of queries, but they are not always well suited to many problems, particularly when there is a need for real-time insights.
Jan. 21, 2017 12:15 AM EST Reads: 6,382
In his General Session at 16th Cloud Expo, David Shacochis, host of The Hybrid IT Files podcast and Vice President at CenturyLink, investigated three key trends of the “gigabit economy" though the story of a Fortune 500 communications company in transformation. Narrating how multi-modal hybrid IT, service automation, and agile delivery all intersect, he will cover the role of storytelling and empathy in achieving strategic alignment between the enterprise and its information technology.
Jan. 21, 2017 12:00 AM EST Reads: 4,721
IoT is at the core or many Digital Transformation initiatives with the goal of re-inventing a company's business model. We all agree that collecting relevant IoT data will result in massive amounts of data needing to be stored. However, with the rapid development of IoT devices and ongoing business model transformation, we are not able to predict the volume and growth of IoT data. And with the lack of IoT history, traditional methods of IT and infrastructure planning based on the past do not app...
Jan. 20, 2017 10:45 PM EST Reads: 936
WebRTC is bringing significant change to the communications landscape that will bridge the worlds of web and telephony, making the Internet the new standard for communications. Cloud9 took the road less traveled and used WebRTC to create a downloadable enterprise-grade communications platform that is changing the communication dynamic in the financial sector. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Leo Papadopoulos, CTO of Cloud9, discussed the importance of WebRTC and how it enables companies to focus o...
Jan. 20, 2017 08:45 PM EST Reads: 4,403
The Internet of Things can drive efficiency for airlines and airports. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Shyam Varan Nath, Principal Architect with GE, and Sudip Majumder, senior director of development at Oracle, discussed the technical details of the connected airline baggage and related social media solutions. These IoT applications will enhance travelers' journey experience and drive efficiency for the airlines and the airports.
Jan. 20, 2017 05:45 PM EST Reads: 2,107
With major technology companies and startups seriously embracing IoT strategies, now is the perfect time to attend @ThingsExpo 2016 in New York. Learn what is going on, contribute to the discussions, and ensure that your enterprise is as "IoT-Ready" as it can be! Internet of @ThingsExpo, taking place June 6-8, 2017, at the Javits Center in New York City, New York, is co-located with 20th Cloud Expo and will feature technical sessions from a rock star conference faculty and the leading industry p...
Jan. 20, 2017 05:15 PM EST Reads: 3,835
"LinearHub provides smart video conferencing, which is the Roundee service, and we archive all the video conferences and we also provide the transcript," stated Sunghyuk Kim, CEO of LinearHub, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at @ThingsExpo, held November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA.
Jan. 20, 2017 03:00 PM EST Reads: 1,669
Things are changing so quickly in IoT that it would take a wizard to predict which ecosystem will gain the most traction. In order for IoT to reach its potential, smart devices must be able to work together. Today, there are a slew of interoperability standards being promoted by big names to make this happen: HomeKit, Brillo and Alljoyn. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Adam Justice, vice president and general manager of Grid Connect, will review what happens when smart devices don’t work togethe...
Jan. 20, 2017 02:15 PM EST Reads: 661
"There's a growing demand from users for things to be faster. When you think about all the transactions or interactions users will have with your product and everything that is between those transactions and interactions - what drives us at Catchpoint Systems is the idea to measure that and to analyze it," explained Leo Vasiliou, Director of Web Performance Engineering at Catchpoint Systems, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York Ci...
Jan. 20, 2017 01:30 PM EST Reads: 5,758