|By Marketwired .||
|July 22, 2014 09:04 AM EDT||
SAN FRANCISCO, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 07/22/14 --
- "Application Intelligence" - Significant Platform and Category Expansion Beyond Application Performance Management (APM)
- Company Continues Hyper-Growth Worldwide With Triple Digit Annual Growth
AppDynamics, the leader in Application Intelligence, today announced it has secured $120 million in growth financing led by new investors Battery Ventures, ClearBridge Investments and Sands Capital. All four existing investors Greylock Partners, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, and Institutional Venture Partners, also participated in the round. The $120 million includes $50 million in debt financing provided by Silicon Valley Bank.
The new financing brings the total capital raised by AppDynamics to over $200 million and will fund the company's continued expansion of its Application Intelligence Platform into the IT Operations and Business Analytics markets, and also accelerate go-to-market investments worldwide.
"Application Intelligence is rapidly becoming the foundational management platform for modern enterprises that are going through a digital transformation. It has the opportunity to reshape not only the $4 to $5 billion per year Application Performance Management market, but the broader $20 billion per year IT Operations Management(1) and $34 billion per year Operations and Business Analytics markets(2)," said Jyoti Bansal, founder and CEO at AppDynamics. "This additional financing is great validation of the market category, our strong execution in leading the category and above all the quality of the AppDynamics team across all functions. This financing will help fuel our continued rapid pace of technology innovation, and expansion of our worldwide sales and go-to-market execution."
"Given the massive, secular shifts in today's technology markets toward cloud, mobile and service-oriented apps, I think AppDynamics has a great opportunity to own the next generation of Operations and Application Management," said Neeraj Agrawal, a general partner at Battery Ventures. "I have known Jyoti for years, and during that time he has shown great vision and consistently exceeded his business goals. Battery is extremely excited to partner with AppDynamics."
AppDynamics Market and Vision:
- "Software is Eating the World": Modern enterprises are going through a huge digital transformation from Systems-of-Record to Systems-of-Engagement -- where software applications not only support the back-office of the enterprise, but are forming the core of customer engagement. Software applications are allowing enterprises to completely optimize their consumer interactions and innovate on consumer experience at a level never seen before.
- The architectural shift to Cloud, Mobile and DevOps: To enable this rapid digital transformation, technology architectures are going through a generational shift to Cloud Computing, Mobile and broad adoption of agile and DevOps operational practices. The older technology architectures and vendors supplying solutions for these architectures are rapidly becoming obsolete.
- Market shift away from legacy vendors: Legacy vendors in the $20 billion per year IT Operations Management space like CA Technologies, HP, BMC, Compuware have not been able to innovate as IT applications shift to a new architecture and enterprises go through their digital transformation. Newer companies such as AppDynamics are leading the charge and have emerged as rapidly growing category leaders.
- The emergence of a new category "Application Intelligence": The new approach to managing IT is "application-centric" instead of "infrastructure-centric." All aspects of the IT Operations Management market are being redefined by applications, user experience and the business transactions they support. AppDynamics is leading the emergence of the new market category "Application Intelligence" where the core mission is to provide an integrated platform for Developers, Operations and the Business to maximize business performance delivered by software application investments. This encompasses performance monitoring, user experience monitoring, infrastructure monitoring, deployment automation, automatic remediation, and operational analytics, combined with seamless business intelligence to tie IT with Business.
- Disruption in Go-to-market models: The legacy go-to-market model of complex, slow to configure and deploy software with heavy Professional Services requirements is no longer fit for purpose. The new enterprise consumers are demanding easy-to-use products, try-before-you-buy and pay-as-you-go. AppDynamics unique go-to-market strategy of providing hybrid SaaS/on-premise deployments, easy to deploy freemium offerings, and a land-and-expand sales model is aligned with the new buying patterns in the enterprise.
AppDynamics Execution Highlights:
- Rapid growth: AppDynamics is one of the fastest-growing technology companies worldwide. The company grew more than 175 percent in its fiscal year 2014, which concluded on January 31, 2014. It currently has over 1,300 customers and has doubled its customer base every year for the last three years. Customers include some of the largest banks, largest retail companies and the largest SaaS providers globally. In the last 18 months the number of employees grew from 200 to over 450 based in over 12 countries including the US, UK, France, Germany, India, Japan, Australia and Singapore.
- Market leader recognition: In Gartner Inc.'s latest "Magic Quadrant for Application Performance Management" report, AppDynamics has been positioned in the Leader's quadrant for the second year in a row. For a complimentary copy of the report, visit www.appdynamics.com/gartner.
- Exceptional Customer Success & Loyalty: The company's latest Net Promoter Score (a single measure of customer loyalty) is at a world class 85, demonstrating the long-term nature of our customer relationships. The company's NPS is among the highest in the enterprise software industry.
- Great Place to Work: AppDynamics is widely recognized for its innovative and employee-friendly culture. In 2013, Forbes recognized AppDynamics as the best Cloud Computing Company to work for, and it's CEO Jyoti Bansalas the number one Cloud Computing CEO to work for. In 2014, AppDynamics was recognized by Glassdoor as one of the Best Medium-Sized Companies to Work For in its Employee's Choice Awards. In May 2014, its CEO Jyoti Bansalwas recognized as Best CEO in San Francisco Business Times Tech & Innovation Awards and named a finalist in the prestigious EY Entrepreneur of the Year awards.
- Rapid Innovation: With its latest platform release in March 2014, the company's Application Intelligence Platform provides the broadest and deepest visibility and management of software applications leveraging JAVA, .Net, node.js, PHP, NoSQL, SQL, Native Mobile and browser-based apps, NetApp Storage, IBM DataPower, Tibco, MongoDB and through its open platform APIs over 100 critical enterprise technologies such as Microsoft Azure, AWS, Pivotal, F5 and Hadoop. AppDynamics, unique among its competitors, offers SaaS, on-premise and private cloud deployment alternatives to its customers. These are available in a fully self-service try-and-buy freemium 'free-forever' edition or commercial Pro Edition.
- Platform Expansion: In March, AppDynamics announced beta availability of its analytics solution, 'Application Analytics.' This builds on the company's already market-leading Operational Analytics and Real-Time Business Metrics solution. General availability of 'Application Analytics' is targeted for later in 2014.
At AppDynamics, our Application Intelligence Platform helps today's software-defined businesses proactively monitor, manage and optimize the most complex software environments. All in real time, and all in production. With cloud and on-premise deployment flexibility, AppDynamics works and partners with many of the world's most innovative companies. Customers include Citrix, Edmunds, Expedia, Fox News, John Deere, OpenTable, Salesforce.com, Sephora, StubHub and Union Pacific Railroad. AppDynamics premier event for today's software-defined business AppSphere 2014, takes place November 3-5 in Las Vegas. For more information, visit www.appdynamics.com.
(1) Gartner, Market Share Analysis: IT Operations Management Software, Worldwide, 2013, Laurie F. Wurster, Federico De Silva, John Rizzuto, Matthew Cheung, David M. Coyle and Ronni J. Colville, May 30, 2014
(2) IDC, Worldwide Business Analytics Software 2013-2017 Forecast and 2012 Vendor Shares (IDC #241689), Dan Vesset, Brian McDonough, David Schubmehl and Mary Wardley, June 2013
"We work in the area of Big Data analytics and Big Data analytics is a very crowded space - you have Hadoop, ETL, warehousing, visualization and there's a lot of effort trying to get these tools to talk to each other," explained Mukund Deshpande, head of the Analytics practice at Accelerite, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jul. 1, 2016 12:30 AM EDT Reads: 658
Cloud Expo, Inc. has announced today that Andi Mann returns to 'DevOps at Cloud Expo 2016' as Conference Chair The @DevOpsSummit at Cloud Expo will take place on November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. "DevOps is set to be one of the most profound disruptions to hit IT in decades," said Andi Mann. "It is a natural extension of cloud computing, and I have seen both firsthand and in independent research the fantastic results DevOps delivers. So I am excited t...
Jul. 1, 2016 12:00 AM EDT Reads: 572
IoT offers a value of almost $4 trillion to the manufacturing industry through platforms that can improve margins, optimize operations & drive high performance work teams. By using IoT technologies as a foundation, manufacturing customers are integrating worker safety with manufacturing systems, driving deep collaboration and utilizing analytics to exponentially increased per-unit margins. However, as Benoit Lheureux, the VP for Research at Gartner points out, “IoT project implementers often ...
Jun. 30, 2016 07:30 PM EDT Reads: 711
Machine Learning helps make complex systems more efficient. By applying advanced Machine Learning techniques such as Cognitive Fingerprinting, wind project operators can utilize these tools to learn from collected data, detect regular patterns, and optimize their own operations. In his session at 18th Cloud Expo, Stuart Gillen, Director of Business Development at SparkCognition, discussed how research has demonstrated the value of Machine Learning in delivering next generation analytics to imp...
Jun. 30, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,027
The cloud promises new levels of agility and cost-savings for Big Data, data warehousing and analytics. But it’s challenging to understand all the options – from IaaS and PaaS to newer services like HaaS (Hadoop as a Service) and BDaaS (Big Data as a Service). In her session at @BigDataExpo at @ThingsExpo, Hannah Smalltree, a director at Cazena, provided an educational overview of emerging “as-a-service” options for Big Data in the cloud. This is critical background for IT and data profession...
Jun. 30, 2016 04:00 PM EDT Reads: 490
A strange thing is happening along the way to the Internet of Things, namely far too many devices to work with and manage. It has become clear that we'll need much higher efficiency user experiences that can allow us to more easily and scalably work with the thousands of devices that will soon be in each of our lives. Enter the conversational interface revolution, combining bots we can literally talk with, gesture to, and even direct with our thoughts, with embedded artificial intelligence, wh...
Jun. 30, 2016 03:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,282
Whether your IoT service is connecting cars, homes, appliances, wearable, cameras or other devices, one question hangs in the balance – how do you actually make money from this service? The ability to turn your IoT service into profit requires the ability to create a monetization strategy that is flexible, scalable and working for you in real-time. It must be a transparent, smoothly implemented strategy that all stakeholders – from customers to the board – will be able to understand and comprehe...
Jun. 30, 2016 02:45 PM EDT Reads: 369
When people aren’t talking about VMs and containers, they’re talking about serverless architecture. Serverless is about no maintenance. It means you are not worried about low-level infrastructural and operational details. An event-driven serverless platform is a great use case for IoT. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Animesh Singh, an STSM and Lead for IBM Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, will detail how to build a distributed serverless, polyglot, microservices framework using open source tec...
Jun. 30, 2016 02:00 PM EDT Reads: 704
Connected devices and the industrial internet are growing exponentially every year with Cisco expecting 50 billion devices to be in operation by 2020. In this period of growth, location-based insights are becoming invaluable to many businesses as they adopt new connected technologies. Knowing when and where these devices connect from is critical for a number of scenarios in supply chain management, disaster management, emergency response, M2M, location marketing and more. In his session at @Th...
Jun. 30, 2016 01:30 PM EDT Reads: 1,366
In his keynote at 18th Cloud Expo, Andrew Keys, Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise, provided an overview of the evolution of the Internet and the Database and the future of their combination – the Blockchain. Andrew Keys is Co-Founder of ConsenSys Enterprise. He comes to ConsenSys Enterprise with capital markets, technology and entrepreneurial experience. Previously, he worked for UBS investment bank in equities analysis. Later, he was responsible for the creation and distribution of life sett...
Jun. 30, 2016 01:00 PM EDT Reads: 1,526
"delaPlex is a software development company. We do team-based outsourcing development," explained Mark Rivers, COO and Co-founder of delaPlex Software, in this SYS-CON.tv interview at 18th Cloud Expo, held June 7-9, 2016, at the Javits Center in New York City, NY.
Jun. 30, 2016 11:45 AM EDT Reads: 624
IoT is rapidly changing the way enterprises are using data to improve business decision-making. In order to derive business value, organizations must unlock insights from the data gathered and then act on these. In their session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, and Peter Shashkin, Head of Development Department at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how one organization leveraged IoT, cloud technology and data analysis to improve customer experiences and effi...
Jun. 30, 2016 11:30 AM EDT Reads: 656
Basho Technologies has announced the latest release of Basho Riak TS, version 1.3. Riak TS is an enterprise-grade NoSQL database optimized for Internet of Things (IoT). The open source version enables developers to download the software for free and use it in production as well as make contributions to the code and develop applications around Riak TS. Enhancements to Riak TS make it quick, easy and cost-effective to spin up an instance to test new ideas and build IoT applications. In addition to...
Jun. 30, 2016 11:15 AM EDT Reads: 751
The idea of comparing data in motion (at the sensor level) to data at rest (in a Big Data server warehouse) with predictive analytics in the cloud is very appealing to the industrial IoT sector. The problem Big Data vendors have, however, is access to that data in motion at the sensor location. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Scott Allen, CMO of FreeWave, discussed how as IoT is increasingly adopted by industrial markets, there is going to be an increased demand for sensor data from the outermos...
Jun. 30, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 485
CenturyLink has announced that application server solutions from GENBAND are now available as part of CenturyLink’s Networx contracts. The General Services Administration (GSA)’s Networx program includes the largest telecommunications contract vehicles ever awarded by the federal government. CenturyLink recently secured an extension through spring 2020 of its offerings available to federal government agencies via GSA’s Networx Universal and Enterprise contracts. GENBAND’s EXPERiUS™ Application...
Jun. 30, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 503
The cloud market growth today is largely in public clouds. While there is a lot of spend in IT departments in virtualization, these aren’t yet translating into a true “cloud” experience within the enterprise. What is stopping the growth of the “private cloud” market? In his general session at 18th Cloud Expo, Nara Rajagopalan, CEO of Accelerite, explored the challenges in deploying, managing, and getting adoption for a private cloud within an enterprise. What are the key differences between wh...
Jun. 30, 2016 11:00 AM EDT Reads: 1,130
Presidio has received the 2015 EMC Partner Services Quality Award from EMC Corporation for achieving outstanding service excellence and customer satisfaction as measured by the EMC Partner Services Quality (PSQ) program. Presidio was also honored as the 2015 EMC Americas Marketing Excellence Partner of the Year and 2015 Mid-Market East Partner of the Year. The EMC PSQ program is a project-specific survey program designed for partners with Service Partner designations to solicit customer feedbac...
Jun. 30, 2016 10:45 AM EDT Reads: 710
The IoT is changing the way enterprises conduct business. In his session at @ThingsExpo, Eric Hoffman, Vice President at EastBanc Technologies, discussed how businesses can gain an edge over competitors by empowering consumers to take control through IoT. He cited examples such as a Washington, D.C.-based sports club that leveraged IoT and the cloud to develop a comprehensive booking system. He also highlighted how IoT can revitalize and restore outdated business models, making them profitable ...
Jun. 30, 2016 10:30 AM EDT Reads: 595
There are several IoTs: the Industrial Internet, Consumer Wearables, Wearables and Healthcare, Supply Chains, and the movement toward Smart Grids, Cities, Regions, and Nations. There are competing communications standards every step of the way, a bewildering array of sensors and devices, and an entire world of competing data analytics platforms. To some this appears to be chaos. In this power panel at @ThingsExpo, moderated by Conference Chair Roger Strukhoff, Bradley Holt, Developer Advocate a...
Jun. 30, 2016 10:15 AM EDT Reads: 1,001
SYS-CON Events has announced today that Roger Strukhoff has been named conference chair of Cloud Expo and @ThingsExpo 2016 Silicon Valley. The 19th Cloud Expo and 6th @ThingsExpo will take place on November 1-3, 2016, at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, CA. "The Internet of Things brings trillions of dollars of opportunity to developers and enterprise IT, no matter how you measure it," stated Roger Strukhoff. "More importantly, it leverages the power of devices and the Interne...
Jun. 30, 2016 10:00 AM EDT Reads: 584